Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did setting up a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I recently installed a router at my computer so that I have wireless Internet in the house. I have your regular cable Internet from Comcast, and I got a Linksys router. Ever since I've installed the router and got it working with no problems, my cable Internet will freeze up, and no websites will work. I don't get the "Page cannot display" page, but rather, it just keeps searching for the website and "runs in place" and never finds it. The cable modem shows not only the four green lights (Power, Receive, Send, and Online), but also the flashing "PC Activity" light. Basically, the modem itself looks like I'm still getting the Internet. I disconnected the router to see if that was the problem, but now I'm getting this problem even with the router not connected with the ethernet wire or plugged in, either. Did something happen with my settings to make my Internet seemingly freeze up? What can I do to fix this?

Advertisements

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
Try tracing the cable wire starting from the modem and make sure that it is not cut or pinched anywhere that could be causing it to short.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Try tracing the cable wire starting from the modem and make sure that it is not cut or pinched anywhere that could be causing it to short.

I checked, it seems to be in good order. It has plenty of slack, and I always press the little button when ejecting the wire so it doesn't seem like I'm pulling the wire from it's end.

I should add that not only does Internet Explorer or Firefox freeze up when this happens, but my computer also won't allow me to close the window, and it won't let me open up the task menu by hitting Ctrl+Alt+Del either.

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
You could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the router, but from what you are saying you may want to try posting in the Malware Forums since something also seems to be taking up all your resources.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
Could the problem be something with my IP address? Should I do something to change it or repair it or something?

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
I don't think it would hurt to try it.
I am assuming you have XP.

For Windows 2000 and XP

1. Select Start>Run
2. Type cmd.exe
Result: A DOS-like command line window appears.
3. In the command line window, type ipconfig /release (make sure there is a space between 'ipconfig' and '/release')
Result: If you already have an IP address, it will change to 0.0.0.0. If you do not have an IP address, you will be told that all addresses have already been released.
4. In the command line window, type ipconfig /renew (again, making sure there is a space between 'ipconfig' and '/renew')
Result: You should have successfully acquired a new IP address, something like 18.X.Y.Z where X, Y, and Z are numbers.

xzmattzx

xzmattzx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I'll try this later on. Should I have the router plugged back in and going when I do this, so that I fix everything while under router settings as well?

keithr128

keithr128

• PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
It shouldn't make a difference but you can have it hooked up.
If that does not work you can also try resetting the router to its factory default setting.
There should be a reset button on the back of the router, just depress that button and hold it down for 30 seconds.