Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I use an LCD TV as a Monitor ?

• Please log in to reply

georgetok

georgetok

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
I want a really large monitor upto 40 inch if possible for my computer and applications.

The LCD monitors that come with computers are much smaller and extremely expensive if I want to go over 24 inch.

How do I resolve this problem ?

(1) Someone suggested to use an LCD TV as a monitor. Is this possible ?

(2) If possible, what other hardware or software do I need to use TV as a monitor ?

(3) What are the drawbacks of using LCD TV as a monitor except that I can not use it as TV which I don't care.

(4) I also like to have multimonitors for my applications. Can I do that if I was to use LCD TVs as monitors ? I mean using more than one TV as a monitors attached to one CPU ?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
1) Yes, it is possible.

2) Usually you will need a video card with DVI, S-Video, or HDMI out. Many intergrated chipsets are adding HDMI ports.

3) Unless it is outrageously expensive it probably won't reach the resolutions that a typical monitor would. You have to turn your head to see the other side of the screen :).

4) I don't see why dual monitor technology wouldn't work with TV as oppossed to standard monitors.

These days with HD TVs taking off there is a fine line between a TV and a monitor. Many newer HD TVs even have a "PC Mode". Those are usually the ones that accept a DVI input.

Edited by Titan8990, 18 October 2007 - 02:55 AM.