Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer makes wierd grinding noise

• Please log in to reply

Normalcy

Normalcy

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
All of a sudden my computer started making this grinding noise everytime I turn it on. It doesnt stop unless i beat the crap out of it, but it happens everytime i leave it shut off for over 10 seconds. I though some cord might be in thefan or something, but nothing is in the fan and i dont notice anything abnormal in the computer. I didint change anything on it at all recently. (recently being the past year) The noise sounds like a computer loading really loud, mine sounds like an engine when its really going hard, but its a deeper tone, and it like starts fading in and out every half a second...its hard to describe

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Probably a fan or your CDROM drive. I would first unplug the power and IDE cable from the CDROM and see if that is what is causing the noise. Also visually inspect your fans inside your case. If still no luck on pin pointing the noise put your ear to the case to try and atleast determine what area of the case it was coming from. Please don't "beat the crap" out of your machine. It can not make things better.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
It could also be the hard drive and then "beating the crap out of it" is definately only gonna make it worse... since it is when you start and then goes away though my bet is on a fan... maybe the one in the power supply....

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Well I did replace the power supply over a year ago, doesnt seem to be coming from that though

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Were you able to locate the noise at all?

Normalcy

Normalcy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
sounds like its coming from the middle where the ram is, but im not certian

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Check all fans including video card. Open up case when turning on and check fan to fan (just watch that you dont touch any live parts). I have also seen cd drives fail this way. Sounds like a bearing is failing in a fan to me. The video card and cpu fan would be first choices.