Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't plug Ethernet cable back in

• Please log in to reply

claireL

claireL

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm using a Broadcom Netlink Gigabit Ethernet adapter on a Compaq nx6325 laptop. When I plug it in the first time, it works, but if I unplug the ethernet, and plug it back in, it doesn't work anymore... but it used to. It also tends to tell me the Gigabit Ethernet adapter can now be safely removed. When I plug the cable in again, it just says Acquiring IP address for a long time, and then Limited or no connectivity.

Thanks for any ideas. I don't why it stopped working.

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
In the bottom right hand corner of your screen click on the two computers icon. When that opens click on the second tab and click on repair connection. That should fix your limited connection issue.

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
The question I have for you is, why did you un-plug it ??? Doing so does something to the IP stack...So my guess would be to uninstall it and reinstall it...Under normal conditions I believe the previous post in reply to yours is a correct method but where you unplugged it, I'm not certain if that method will work...Keep us posted...