Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Persistent Windows XP startup problem

• Please log in to reply

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I'm experiencing a persistent problem :

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root\system32\ntoskrnl.exe"

Neil Jones was very helpful in his reply:
"This is a critical system file and if you replace it with a download from the Internet, you run the risk of the computer not booting at all especially if you inadvertedly grab a file from an older version of Windows XP (that is, a file from the original XP or XP Service Pack 1). The computer will then be in a hybrid configuration which means any errors you do get if it does work may be unGoogleable. If you must replace key system files, the best place is from the XP CD used to install the Windows on the system in the first place."

The same problem has occurred again and I would like to replace the file. My original Windows XP Pro disk only contains XP Service Pack 1.
I have a separate Windows XP Service Pack 2 disk which I downloaded from Microsoft's website.

(1) Should I use my original Windows XP Installation disk with Service Pack 1?
(2) Should I reinstall Service Pack2?
(3) Should I try something else?

I would be very grateful for advice.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
I suggest 3.) Try something else. Like Autostreamer:
http://www.softpedia...load-13918.html
Tutorial: http://www.simplygui...ostreamer.shtml

This puts SP2 together with your SP1 CD and gives you an .iso file from which you can burn a bootable disc. I did this for myself without much trouble and later used it for both fresh and repair installs. Many report fewer difficulties when installing SP2 inside a 'slipstreamed' disc.

inspectordoppler

inspectordoppler

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Brilliant!

I followed your advice and successfully made a new Windows XP Installation CD with Service Pack 2.

Thanks very much for the advice and for providing me with both of those links, 1101doc. The disk will be very useful for this situation and any more potential problems in the future.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
You're welcome! Next we'll have to see if it works for SP3 when it is released later this year. I'm thinking the Autostreamer will have to be reworked to handle it. Same folks as Autopatcher, which M$ shut down earlier this year.

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Couldn't you put in your Windows CD, and then go to start > run > type "expand ntoskrnl.exe"

Give it a try, it'll replace the file with the one off your CD, saves a whole repair. If not I'd do a repair install of XP.