Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Agp Slot

• Please log in to reply

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
How do I find out if I have an AGP slot? Is there a program I can run or can someone tell me what an AGP slot looks like? I don't know much about AGP. All I know is they're a slot for a graphics card. I was wanting to upgrade my Intel integrated 11 MB video. I only have 64 MB RAM and I don't want my graphics taking up memory. I want to run my graphics through a new graphics card in my AGP slot, if I have one. The graphics I have now are below what I need them to be. If I do have an AGP slot, can someone tell me the best bottom-of-the-line AGP graphics card?

Edited by nathanhuth, 23 December 2003 - 12:42 PM.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
AIDA32 is a free download that will tell you what's inside your box.

It'll run $40-50 for a low end card (ATI 9000-9200, MX400-440). If you watch New Egg's Refurbished video cards, you may be able to find a deal. Look around, there should also be some deals to be found on the nVidia Ti4200 video cards. This would be my choice, if available.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
How do I find out if I have an AGP slot in the program? The program is very confusing to me.

Edited by nathanhuth, 23 December 2003 - 06:26 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
No problem. Along the left side, click on Motherboard. Then on the right side, select Motherboard. Scroll down until you see motherboard physical info. Next to expansion slots, look for AGP.

An example is shown below:
Posted Image

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
When I go to motherboard, then motherboard, there is only "Motherboard Properties", "Front Side Bus Properties", and "Chipset Bus Properties", no "Motherboard Physical Info".

Edited by nathanhuth, 23 December 2003 - 07:21 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
What does it show for motherboard name? We can try and figure it our that way.

Or, if it's a brand name (Dell, HP, IBM, etc), give us the make and model. <_<

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
It says the motherboard name is "unknown". The model for my computer is an HP Pavillion 6736.

Edited by nathanhuth, 24 December 2003 - 11:29 AM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You can find detailed specs for your computer here.

Bad news, you don't have an AGP slot. Good news, you don't really need one to get better graphics. Although you may have to look a little harder to find one, any PCI graphics card will work in your system.

Smokey

Smokey

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 1,423 posts
There are many different low-end PCI video cards at new egg, $40 to $50. I really like the RADEON 7000. Becuase of the DirectX 7.1 support, its max res., and its composite RCA TV out. I don't know much about what makes one video card better than another though. What would be you pick for my system from $40 to $50?

Edited by nathanhuth, 24 December 2003 - 12:05 PM.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Newegg has a number of PCI cards, click on Shop by Category -> Video Cards -> under Advanced Search, select Slot Type: "PCI", >Search.

I'd go with the Saphire Radeon 7000VE for $45 w/free shipping. <_<