Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to install or uninstall Firefox

• Please log in to reply

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Several weeks ago I attempted to update to Firefox 2.0.07. Something happened during the installation process. Now my system says that 2.0.07 is installed but when I attempt to start it I get the message"The program must close to allow a previous installation attempt to complete. Please restart."
However, restarting does not complete the process and I am not able to uninstall from the Add/Remove software function in control panel.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Am I going to need a third party unistaller to finish this?

Advertisements

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
I forgot to say, I am running XP Pro SP2.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Not sure if any of these will help, but try deleting all the Firefox folders from Program Files and reinstalling FF again.

May be a Registry problem, too, and the old Registry keys after you delete FF folders may need to be removed using CCleaner. Ensure you make a Registry backup and a Restore Point. Should always do a Restore Point when DLing/Installing new programs anyway.

Not sure if this works either, but try before doing the above to go to FF's folder from Start>Programs and see if it will load ok in FF's Safe mode.

Ron

mlwjackson

mlwjackson

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
Thank you for the suggestion of using CCleaner. I do have it on another pc but seldom use it. I downloaded it did analysis and found some registry entries related to Mozilla that were apparently not deleted during the uninstall. Following creating a restore point I deleted those files only AND IT FIXED THE PROBLEM! :)

Thanks a great deal.