Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

its the clean up computer time again, sigh...

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I have asked this before and learned quite a bit. Have been on the tutorial but found it a bit overwhelming. I am a bit of a fanatic when it comes to garbage programs hanging around, thanks to other people who use my puter. Heres my problem, its all great to delete a program which I used to do, got carried away and lost exe. files etc. that were needed to run other programs. That wasnt bad enough then I started doing searchs just to make sure the whole program was gone and of course what do I find but all sorts of files that still have the name of the program I thought I had deleted in them. Then I made it even worse deleting them. You know the old saying a bit of knowledge can be dangerous....well thats me. So my question is how can you rid your puter of programs that you dont need or better yet dont why you have them without messing everything up. (Thank god for restore!!) Anyone want to take this on lol??

Advertisements

islandcat

islandcat

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
I just finished running a virus scan and noticed it checking files that should have been gone long ago. Example Counterstrike which was supposed to removed a year ago. I'm very confused.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
A lot of times when you uninstall a game it leaves behind your user setting and your saved game files in case you install the game again. It is nothing to be worried about.

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
You can download uninstallers that will totally remove the software, registry entries and all that stuff in a couple of clicks. I use Total Uninstaller 2006 (I paid for it and its extremely good, btw 2006 is the latest version)

Should work for your PC.