Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery Hourglass Office 2000

• Please log in to reply

J Wagner

J Wagner

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Three of my users are experiencing an annoying quirk. When they have Word 2000 (or any other Office 2000 product)open on an XP Home box, every nine blinks of the cursor (about 10 seconds) the hourglass appears and the application is not responsive for 1-2 seconds. As the day goes on, they eventually get a non-sufficient memory error. I scanned with an up-to-date Norton Anti-Virus, Panda Security and Trend Micro Housecall with no results indicating a virus or trojan horse (just some iffy cookies).

I looked at the running processes in Safe Mode and in Regular Mode and noticed a SVCHOST.exe with a System user was not running in Safe Mode. This quirk does not occur in Safe Mode. I don't know what DLL is calling that SVCHOST.exe, but, when I end the process, it comes back. It starts around 5,000K of memory usage and grows as time goes by to about 19,000K memory usage.

Obviously, this has me stumped. I was hoping that someone here has experienced this quirk. (and solved it, as well)

Thanks for any help.....

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
The hour-glass just means Word is busy doing "something".. or something is busy with word.
I had an issue with norton security once (I no longer use norton). The security program has its "fingers" into everything so that it can keep tabs on all activity. My NIS07 crashed eventually and took most every program down with it. Word was useless after the crash. (the crash was so bad that I had to have symantec come on board and it took them 4 hours to get the program uninstalled) Anyway, thats just something to look at. Maybe your security program is having some problems.

You could also go into the control panel/uninstall programs and do a "change" option on your Word program, you should get an option to Repair the program and see it that resolves your issue.

J Wagner

J Wagner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you, PsychPosse.

I did not mention that I had previously attempted to repair all Office 2000 Modules that I have installed on this machine. (Excel, Outlook, and Word) I do have NIS06 installed on a trial basis. I have had this machine in place about 30 days. This quirk has been evident since day one. I included the hourglass indicator because it was unusual for the program to be accessed every ten seconds. (I don't have autosave configured that way.) I believe that the root of my problem lies in the DLL that starts the SVCHOST.EXE process. I don't know how to discern what DLL is causing this quirk. I can't have this user operating solely in Safe Mode, because it would impede their effectiveness.

I will try to change my security software to see if that is the problem. I really hope it isn't because I have 50+ users using Norton products.

Thanks again