Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cpu frequency

• Please log in to reply

Richenstony

Richenstony

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello everyone .

The issues is this .

When i 1st purchased my intel Pentium 4 chip 3.2ghz ....... i was getting a extremely annoying high pitched noise .... the only way to get this noise to go away was to lower my cpus frequency , but that came at a major price , im running a 3.2ghz at 2.8ghz ...... because i had to lower my frequency ...... does anyone have any suggestion on how i can run my cpu to its full potential and have that annoying high pitched noise go away ....

Tony :)

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
were you ever able to tell where the noise was coming from? my guess would be the cpu fan as that would most likely slow down when you reduced the speed.... So either The heatsink/fan isn't seated well or the heatsink compound you used ( I hope you used some ) isn't cutting it... or the fan isn't rated for a processor that fast or is just plain faulty...

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have an Intel P4 630 (3.0GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB) and it screamed to no end. Finally, I got so annoyed with it I replaced the standard HSF with this. It is so much quieter now, and it runs heaps cooler - I lost about 15-20 degrees!

So my point here is that if shard92 is correct (and I would agree here), then you could replace the standard HSF with an aftermarket cooler that will do the cooling job better so it can run slower - and quieter.

Hope this helps :)

Richenstony

Richenstony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

I have an Intel P4 630 (3.0GHz, 2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB) and it screamed to no end. Finally, I got so annoyed with it I replaced the standard HSF with this. It is so much quieter now, and it runs heaps cooler - I lost about 15-20 degrees!

So my point here is that if shard92 is correct (and I would agree here), then you could replace the standard HSF with an aftermarket cooler that will do the cooling job better so it can run slower - and quieter.

Hope this helps :)

Hello

Thanks for replying ....

Ok the fan suggested doesn't support my socket im on 478 ...... there all higher ....... and yes i most certainly applied some thermal compound ... I don't think this is a cooling issue , due to myself and others constantly running this rig for temperature marks. it runs hot like a p4 does there should be no need to replace my heat sink fan .... does anyone have any other suggestions .....

Tony

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Well the temperatures may be in check, because the fan is going so fast to keep it cool. My guess is still standing, although you would need to find an aftermarket heatsink compatible with the 478 socket.

Perhaps you could look inside the case when it's running (don't touch anything) and see if the noise is coming from the heatsink fan?

Richenstony

Richenstony

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
my computer always has its panels off so i can work on it why its running ...... do i seriously sound like i don't know what im talking about lol ...... i like the DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING FPVDRIF6 ..... ok i have 3 of the same fans all brand new .... ive tried them all .... there all for my socket ..... and all attached nicely to my mobo ..... and the sound is very difficult to pin point , im guessing either my psu or my system fan .... but at present on this current frequency im not getting any sound at all ... just the smooth sounds from my computer as if it was running like normal.... my current frequency is 175 but default on any p4 its 200 ........ if i do that , i then receive the high pitched noise ..... i will make a recording and attach for you .......

Thanks Tony

ps

Im not a novice with computers .... this has a lot of experts stumped not only myself ....

Think hard people

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Okay, is that system fan as in case fan or processor heatsink/fan? Have you tried using different case fans and CPU fans?

Have you tried another PSU?

P.S. I can't just assume anyone who posts here is an expert, but even if you are - don't touch anything while it's running! :)

EDIT: I'm just really thinking the CPU fan is making the noise, but it's difficult because I'm not there to check it. I think what I'm trying to get at here is the "troubleshooting" method, where you keep replacing parts until you fix it - then you know the last part you replaced was the faulty one.

I wonder if it's possible the CPU is faulty and makes the noise at full settings?

Edited by FPVDriF6, 22 October 2007 - 07:12 AM.