Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop vs. Gaming Laptop

• Please log in to reply

jorben31

jorben31

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I have a custom built desktop a home. However i don't want to lug my hefty machine to college with me so i decided to look at a desktop replacement Laptop.

I'm on a budget but i want a good gaming laptop so i looked at the Asus G1

it scored 7,704 on 3Dmark03 with a 2.2ghz dual-core cpu

my current comp scored 13,202 on 3Dmark03

It seems like a huge difference to me but i dont really know that much about the difference b/w performance of desktop vs. laptop in 3Dmark03 scores

I want a notebook that can handle the games i play on my current comp but 30-40lbs less in weight and i dont really care about short battery life, plus the notion of playing Dx10 games is another plus.

So my question is... is the Asus G1 a good buy in comparison???

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
It is a pretty good top. The 8600 is not the best DirectX 10 card but I think it is the best card that you can get in a laptop, but I am not positive. The laptop will probably struggle a bit with some DirectX 10 games and Crysis will probably be impossible to play, but with most other DirectX 9 games you will be fine.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The 8700GT is the best you can get for a laptop.
This laptop will meet the minimum requirements for Crysis, it's a very good laptop, though laptops will never replace desktops.
Just a word of warning, your likely to only get around 30minutes of battery life.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 October 2007 - 07:58 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Isn't the recommended requirements for Crysis an 8800GTS, But yeah it is a good top. I'm thinking of getting one also.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Isn't the recommended requirements for Crysis an 8800GTS, But yeah it is a good top. I'm thinking of getting one also.

Recommended, but not minimum. :) With settings cracked down, it should run it fine.
James

Edited by james_8970, 18 October 2007 - 08:01 PM.