Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

back up files to windows xp

• Please log in to reply

jangel101

jangel101

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am trying to back up files to my windows xp so I can reformat my harddrive. I am trying to use a back up utility that should have already been installed on my computer. It tells me to install the windows xp disk and push exit and click start and click run then type 'CDDrive:\valueadd\msft\ntbackup\ntbackup.msi' and restore wizard should come on. Instead it says 'windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' I am the computer administrator I should be able to access anything on here. I need to back up my files so I can reformat my computer before it crashes. What can I do?

Advertisements

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You don't need a "wizard" to back up your data. Are you backing up to a disk or an external HDD?

need taking care of

need taking care of

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
i suggest u do the windows recommended back up in accesories in the start menu and also while ur there choose ur registry file

soo the files will work with out a problem

but also depends on what ur back uping it on to

bye

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
It looks like we have a new guide that will suite you perfectly: How to Reformat Install Windows