Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do U Rebuild a PC Desktop?Only Mac literate

• Please log in to reply

Ruzya

Ruzya

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Everyone
And many thanks to all in advance!
Since I am only Mac literate
I would really appreciate it if
someone would be kind enough
to tell me how to rebuild a PC desktop.
For the Mac it's 3 easy keys. I hope it's
just as easy for a PC. I am not looking
for instructions on how to do a clean install.
that's the advice that a friend gave me for
some strange reason? Recently my daughter
got a PC that's running on Windows XP.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I
haven't got a clue and thanks again!
Sincerely,
Ruzya

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Ruzya,

Not sure who moved this here, but they completely misunderstood your post. They thought you meant rebuild a desktop machine (as opposed to a laptop), not realizing you mean refreshing the desktop information--ala Mac.

Windows XP does not have an equivalent to the "rebuild" the desktop function. The closest you would come is shutting down explorer.

What exactly did you hope to accomplish?

Ruzya

Ruzya

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Gerry F,

Thanks for responding so quickly.
I thought that there was a feature
for PC's that allowed one to rebuild
the desktop and keep things from
getting messed up as they sometimes
do in a Mac. I've been told that for a Mac
you should rebuild your desktop once
every 2 weeks. It seems to do the trick
as I very rarely have any problems with it.
Maybe once every 3 years. I was really hoping
that this was true of PC's. You know little on the
maintenance of things. Since my daughter's computer
is brand new and it cost over $2000.00 I was hoping to learn
some basics on how to maintain a PC, so that I wouldn't have
to start running to a computer programmer every time there
was a problem. This would be too costly. So if there is a book
that you can recommend or a website that has basic PC maintenance
information, I would really appreciate knowing. I wonder if there is a book
on PC maintenance for Dummies? Again, I thank you for any information that
you may have in regards to this.
Sincerely,
Ruzya

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
A Mac is very easy to maintain vs. a Windows computer but a Windows computer is also easy to maintain with the right tools. The usual problems one would face would be spyware and virus's! Special programs will help keep these pests of your computer!

1) Make sure your computer is updated- Click here to check
2) Ad-aware SE - Download - when you think your computer is running slow or once a month- run this program (make sure you update it though before a scan
3) We strongly recommend installing SpywareBlaster (it's free for personal use) Click Here. - update that once a month atleast which will help you keep many of the nasties off your computer
4) All computers need a firewall and virus protection- a free virus protection and scanning program is AVG- google the name and download it- Update it atleast once a month as well if it does not do it automatically

These next two steps are optional, but will provide the greatest protection.
1. Use ANY browser besides Internet Explorer, almost every exploit is crafted to take advantage of an IE weakness. We usually recommend FireFox Posted Image.
2. Install Sun's Java. It's much more secure than Microsoft's Java Virtual Machine .

jacobusmatthew

jacobusmatthew

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Another thing to add is that you need to run windows update.........a suggestion i would offer is that you should try to keep files organized to begin with...........lol at my school last year, we had a technology class teacher.........He was a MAC Zealot.........his desktop was so messy lol like 1000 + icons all stacked on top of each other..........not all MAC users are like this i would assume...........But keeping your files organized can also help you keep track of what files you put there and recognize vs. some that might be of malicious nature or intent. Idk your daughters knowledge of PC use but it may be helpful to make sure she knows what shes clicking.......My brother randomly clicks yes and no to everything.......It may be helpful to create 2 accounts and administrators account and a limited account......tell your daughter to use the Admin account for installing programs and other strictly admin only things..........have her use the limited account for internet access.....this helps alot to prevent things from unknowingly installing themselves on your computer..........

Im not a mac guy so could you maybe tell me what rebuilding your desktop does........i might be able to better understand what you are trying to do and how to translate it into a PC function.......Have any questions about PC Geekstogo is the Place!!!! :tazz:

Matt ;)

P.S. sorry if i waisted your time with that post i got slightly off-topic..........that was not my intention.