Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overwriting intentionally

• Please log in to reply

freeze29

freeze29

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I would like to make some files irretrievable but know that deleting them only erases them from a directory so my question is: If I save a new file (with different content) with the same name as one that already exists ( and wish to make irretrievable) will the newly saved file be physically written over the same segments, tracks, etc. as the preexisting file? At this point it can be safely deleted.

Edited by freeze29, 19 October 2007 - 04:54 PM.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Every single file on your computer is retrievable, even when it's deleted from the recycling bin. Of course not anybody can do that but it is possible depending on how badly you want that specific file.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No naming it the same will not, it depends on where on the hard drive it is as to when data is written over the top. Now the point is yes, data is recoverable but there are ways to make it almost impossible.
Look at it this way, the file is a bunch of 1 and 0 in order. When you delete it basically scrambles the 1 and 0's into a random order. Doing this once, like Windows does, can make the data recoverable, fairly easily.

Using a third party tool will delete or scramble the data numerous times. The US Dept of Defense does 3 passes on data and I believe the NSA uses 7 passes.

I like using Secure Delete from Sysinternals.

Here is a list of other free tools to help you delete your file more securely.