Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sometimes Slow Computer [RESOLVED]

• Please log in to reply

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
I guess I'll just leave my system alone - except for uninstalling 'non-system' pgms and then reinstalling them on a separate drive.

I've been trying all night to change the swap file to another drive ... but can't. Windows says the PC must be rebooted, but after the reboot it says the swap file (ie page file) is still on C:. Even rebooted to Safe mode and tried to make the change - same result. (To get to the change area ... Ctl Panel ->system ->advanced -> performance settings -> virtual mem ->change. Tried using System Managed and Custom ... was afraid to set 'No Page File')

Searched in Internet ... various articles all said the same thing (to do it the way I tried). Does this mean my system is screwed up?

As I said, I'll reinstall pgms to another drive .. should have done that long ago anyway.

Am trying NOT to get in position that I have to reformat and reinstall XP again (suspect my backup will just return my PC to where it is now ... lots of work for nothing).

Thanks for the help !!

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Knowledge base article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307886

911pchelp

911pchelp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
Followed MS instructions ... speed back to what it was 6 mos ago. THANK YOU !!

Still will remove pgms from C: and reinstall on another drive

not sure how to mark this as resolved - but it is - so I'll edit the subject line manually

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
:) I just love happy endings!