Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change drive letter of a system volume?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At the end of every year, I archive my digital pics to DVD, make a final backup of all my data, format my drives, and start my PC over from scratch. This year, however, I did things a bit earlier because I started having problems with several of my software applications.

I have four hard drives. A big IDE drive, a small IDE drive, and two SATA drives set at RAID 0. I keep Windows and programs on the large IDE, test programs and beta OSs on the small IDE, and my data on the SATA drives. When I was installing Windows this time, I asked it to delete the partitions for both of the IDE drives. When I asked it to install Windows on the large drive, a message popped up stating that the small drive would have to be formatted as well because startup information would need to be stored there. I agreed and away she went. I was actually excited at first because both IDE drives formatted, one right behind the other, without my intervention. At the desktop, I installed the drivers for my RAID stack and got Windows to recognize that drive again. I have always kept my data on my "D" drive. Sure, you can put it anywhere you like, it's just that I've always kept my data in my "D" drive so I'd like to continue to do so. As it stands, though, the large IDE drive is "C" and the small IDE drive is "D", while my DVD burner is "E" and my DVD ROM is "F", and my SATA drives come in last place as "G". As I've done many times in the past, I went into Computer Management to change my "D" drive to "H" and then my "G" drive to "D". This way, my data is on "D", not "G". At any rate, Windows barked at me and said it could not change the drive letter of a system volume. I then realized that next to my drives in Computer Management, drive "C" read Boot Volume and drive "D" read System Volume. I don't see anything on the "D" drive. I've revealed hidden files and still don't see anything.

So my questions are:

What is a System Volume?
Why was this created on a drive seperate from "C"?
Why is there nothing on this drive "D"?
And finally, why can't I change my drive letter?

You have no idea how many times I've opened the "D" drive trying to access my data only to find the drive empty. Then, I gritt my teeth and open the "G" drive. It's so annoying. I could get use to it by the end of the year if I have to though. Ha.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Well the system volume is either NTFS, FAT32, FAT etc etc. I cannot understand what you're saying on the others, I need sleep, sorry.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Well, I don't have as many drives as you do, i just have a 40GB and a 200GB, my operating systems go onto my 40GB and all my music etc stays on the 200GB. So when the times comes for a re-install, i disconnect the 200GB and make sure absolutely nothing goes on there. Why not try it like that?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Adrenalin:

I'm afraid, that in the end, it will come to that if I want to keep my sanity. But then again, and as I've already mentioned, I will eventually get use to having my data on the "G" drive.

Right now, I can't justify reinstalling an OS just to change a silly drive letter. By this time, see, I've already updated the OS and reinstalled most of my frequently used programs.

I suppose I'm really just trying to find out what the System Volume is and why it is affecting my system so. Someone will come along with the answer I'm sure. Stick around and we might both learn something.

Thanks,

Magus

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Yeah, i hear what you saying about re-installing the OS just to change the drive letter, but something like that would just get on my nerves. Suppose I like my pc to be the way i want it. Microsoft says this