Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems installing wireless router

• Please log in to reply

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
HI geeks,

I have recently bought a Belkin wireless router. Everything seemed to be going ok during the set up, but then the connection process cannot get beyond the "acquiring network address" stage and the only way I can connect to the internet is directly with the cable to the modem.
All this despite the wireless connection saying it has excellent signal strength.
A friend has told me it is a simple problem to resolve, he just cant quite remember how.
I have searched the forums far and wide and still not had any luck.
If anyone has any advice then please let me know,
Many Thanks
Jack

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi Jack,

Here is a great tutorial written by spacecowboy. Look at post # 3 and #4 and see after following all of his instructions if that makes a difference. Find it here

Edited by Hawaiantom, 20 October 2007 - 07:50 PM.

mitz

mitz

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Try clicking on the connection icon in the bottom left corner and go to the support tab..Here you should be a able to repair the connection.

Or right click on Your internet connection in Network options in control panel and choose properties. You can repair or renew your connection there.

Is there another computer on the network with the same computer name?

Another way is to actually give it a network address yourself...that is too much for me to explain here..

Hope this helps you.

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for the tips tom and mitz,
Im afraid to say I followed the long instructions written by space cowboy and my laptop still cant connect via the router. However, it might be worth noting that the wireless status now says "connected" and no longer says "acquiring network address".
So now Im just pretty confused. Has this happened to anyone else who then got it fixed? Or does anyone know what i need to do?
Thanks again

jackpreacher

jackpreacher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I managed to get it sorted
I went on the belkin website, then to the support section, then put the router model number in. It then gave all the instructions, the first one being to put in an ip address on the web address bar and it was simple from there.
thanks for the help though, the guide really helped with the acquiring network address problem