Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Can't boot, can't repair...vgaoem.fon

• Please log in to reply

martial4rtist

martial4rtist

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Sys. Specs:
HP dv5000 Custom Laptop
AMD Turion x64 2.2Ghz
ATI Radeon Xpress 200m
1GB Ram (Forgot what kind)

When I start my computer, before the Windows splash screen even loads, I recieve an error that says:

Windows could not start. The following file is missing or corrupted \windows\system\vgaoem.fon.

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

I have the the Windows Pro OS disk that came with my laptop, and I have tried to use it to access the recovery console so that I can repair or replace the missing file. The thing is, when I try to do it, it starts like this:

Posted Image

then boots into this:

Posted Image

Then, before it can even reach the repair screen, it tells me this:

\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe can not be loaded
The error code is 4
Press any key to restart

Then the process starts all over, going to the first HP screen and then trying to boot from the disk.

Can someone help me?

Edited by martial4rtist, 19 October 2007 - 05:25 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Di you press F2 like the blue screen says, look at the bottom, to start the recovery process? That will start restoring the missing files. The file in question is a font and since it's missing your screen is blank.

martial4rtist

martial4rtist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
that actually just asks me to insert a floppy disk, so that doesn't actually do anything =\

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Check here

Then let us know if it helps you :)