Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Temp/Power issues

• Please log in to reply

Erock347

Erock347

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello's, a friend of mine sent me here for some help. Recently d/l'd and am using Speedfan, and it's telling me that my PC was running rather hot. IT was up at 70c, and would stay there. If it went up to 75 the fan would kick up high and cool it back down. I turned the fan speed up to 90% for the last 15 min and the temp has gone down significantly. It's now around 55c. My friend told me to try cleaning out the Heatsink, I did. Not that much dust in there.

I have a HP pavilion a230n. A bit older of a pc, but it works. CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2066 MHz (12.5 x 165) 2800+
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9250 (RV280), 256m
2g of RAM.

Should my PCU be this hot? Or is that a bad thing?

My second problem is: Ever since I put in the Radeon vid card my PC won't shut off. I was able to go into Safemode and then power off, but recently this doesn't work. My friend mentioned that it might be my power supply. It's max output is 250w and I think my Video card needs more then my PS can handle.

Any help would be greatly appreiciated. Thanks
Eric

Advertisements

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Oh, and when I put the fans back down to normal the temp went back up w/o doing anything on the PC. Thanks again :)

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Erock347,

The Athlon XP processors always ran very hot. I would set your fans to run at a higher rate since that is keeping your internal temps down when you speed fans up. Be sure you have good case airflow in/out of case. I dont see anything wrong in your temps considering your current setup( a good thermal paste and cooler is much better than stock cpu coolers). I would recommend that you install a higher quality power supply and maybe look at higher cfm case fans or extra case fan. HP cases are very bulky and do not transfer heat as well as custom computer cases. Speed fans up you will be fine.

You should monitor your system temps via bios for a more accurate look at temps instead of software monitoring.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 19 October 2007 - 08:06 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Can you explain in some more detail about vid card installation and computer not shutting down since installation?

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Not sure how to elaborate really. Ever since I installed the card I am unable to shut off my PC. Go to start, shutdown, and it just restarts automatically. I had been able to go into Safe Mode and then shut down, and it'd be ok. But recently it just restarts again.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Here are some links for some info on xp shutdown problems:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311806

http://www.microsoft...el_02may13.mspx

http://support.micro...kb;EN-US;320299

I have also seen some recent posts about Adobe CS3 causing similiar problem as mentioned in second link.

Here is a link for drivers for your video card not sure which driver you are currently using but this is last one I see for that card http://ati.amd.com/s...prer300-xp.html

Ati tray tools is a great app to have for controlling ati radeon video cards here is a link great tool to view temps, change fan speed, etc http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=733

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 07:16 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Also try running Everest to verify what your temps are saying. Link is in my sig.

Can you change back to your old vid card to see if the shutdown gos away?

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
123; I tried the Everest also, and it only showed a temp of 42c and nothing else. Tho the BIOS did say I was around 68-70c when I checked. I get an error now that the auto start is off. 0x0000007e (0xc000000f, 0xf789bdab, 0xf78x29b8, 0xf78c26b4). Poking around now to see what that error comes back to.

As for the other links JT, the sites all refer to Roxio, and I dont 'have that. They do mention a few oher things, and so far nothing has really done anything. Tho the last 2 links I think might help.

Edited by Erock347, 20 October 2007 - 05:29 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Erock,

You said last post when card not installed problems go away? If this is case lets try my previous link and look at installing different video drivers. I still do not like the 250 watt powersupply I think this would be marginal at best. But lets try changing your video card drivers first see my previous post for link.

Thanks,

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Sorry JT, I made a mistake. It does come up. Might be my old video card that is causing the problems. I'll let you know in a few minutes.

Advertisements

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok... I just tried something and it seems to have worked. When I disabled the Auto Restart after an error, I was given that error code. So I poked around and found a fix for it. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885183

Followed those steps, and reinstalled my video card and installed the new drivers that JT mentioned and now it seems to be working. I can shut off my PC w/o a reboot. Yay! Thanks guys.

Only thing is I get a .NET-BroadcastEventWindow.1.0.5...(cannot get the rest of the error) but it stops responding when I shut off/restart. :-|

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Great to hear you have it working. .Net is required for ati catalyst installs jumps out on that last item. Sounds like you have it working though.

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Tea, so far so good. Just gets hung up on that .NET stuff. Googled it, and end up w/ it being part of the drivers for the Vid card. Not sure just yet what to do.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Here is quick solution. Go to add/remove programs
in control panel. Selecting .NET v2 choose the repair option

Let me know if this works

here is link to info I found for same problem experienced by various users

http://www.thescript...read429027.html

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 06:51 PM.

Erock347

Erock347

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
That did the trick. Thanks a ton guys. That's been plauge'n me for a while now.