Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Detection

• Please log in to reply

Cornelius

Cornelius

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
A week or so ago, my laptop stopped detecting wireless networks in various locations. I know the networks are working - others get a perfect signal. I know my computer's wireless hardware works - I still get a signal at home where I have the network settings saved using my Thinkpad's "ThinkVantage Access Connections" feature. But when I have to search for wireless networks using Windows, it doesn't find any. I once tried to search at home using Windows, rather than ThinkVantage, and it didn't find anything there until I activated ThinkVantage.

I can't figure out what's wrong. There doesn't seem to be much to change about how Windows searches for networks. It definitely used to find them consistently.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually caused because the wireless functionality has been turned off. Usually you toggle this back on by pressing the Function Key (often coloured different to the rest of them) and while holding it down, pressing the appropriate one with a wireless looking antenna-type symbol on it. Then when you rescan for networks, they should suddenly appear again.

Cornelius

Cornelius

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks. That worked. I didn't know there was another layer of control in between the windows utility and the hardware switch. Any idea how this got turned off? I've experimented a little and none of the things I normally do result in that setting getting toggled.

Edited by Cornelius, 22 October 2007 - 02:47 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Generally caused by "fat finger syndrome" where the wrong keys are pressed and all kinds of things happen that you don't normally do. Surprisingly common on laptops and caused by people who type far too fast without looking at what it is they're typing. Then you don't notice you've turned wireless off until you go online. :)