Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

power on button or psu

• Please log in to reply

grahame10

grahame10

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello all
I've got a Tiny computer (now Time computers) and having bootup problems. Some times it will boot up ok then another time nothing, Not quite sure if it the power on button or the PSU, Wednesday it was hopeless sometimes it starts then the next time nothing, Thursday booted up first time then every time I went out I put it on stand by and it booted up first time every time.

I'm hoping it's the PSU as I don't think i'll be able to find a power button as now Tiny have finnished all together, I don't know what make the PSU is and I can't see any model number, I've got Belarc Adviser in stalled but it doesn't give any referrance to what make or number of the PSU

Sorry it's a bit long winded but not very good at expressing my self just hoping some kind person/persons can help me.

Many thanks Grahame :)

Ps The computers five years old now so thats against me as well :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most likely a stuck or broken power button. These can easily be resolved by doing a recase of the bits into a new system case rather than mess around looking for a little piece of plastic. Tiny and Time were good at this.

Take the front of the case off to expose the physical switch and you can press it with your finger.. Most branded computers use a physical press-down configuration to trigger buttons and these tend to become unreliable after a couple of years. If the issues clear up, your power-on button mechanism/button is defunct and as previously stated, a new case with all your current bits put inside t would be the best long term solution as that gets you a new button and a new power supply (in most cases).

grahame10

grahame10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hello Neil Jones
I took the front and side panel off and pressed the power button and booted up it started with no problems. I put the front back on and left the side panel off and it's been alright ever since, So hoping it might just be an overheating problem, The inside of the casing was thick with dust so got to get a can of compressed air and give it a good clean out with a bit of luck it might just might solve the problem. :)

Thanks again for your time Grahame