Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Issue?

• Please log in to reply

thajoker

thajoker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

Recently, I discovered that I have been getting some white lines that pop really quickly and randomly throughout my screen when I am running a video game. These lines do not occur in any specific pattern and sometimes cause my video game application to freeze. In a specific game, World In Conflict, these white lines lead to a white and grey grid on the very top of the screen. After this, the game begins to lag and freeze and in turn leading to a "Stop Error 0x05 INVALID_PROCESS_ATTACH_ATTEMPT" I was thinking that this is a hardware-related problem, more specifcally a video card problem. I hope somebody can help me with this issue and I am sorry if I posted this topic in the wrong category as I am not sure if this is a hardware problem or not. Anyways thanks I really appreciate this. I understand if a reply will take some time as I understand all of you have your own lives and you do this only on your free time. Thanks again.

Angus

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Can you post a summary of your computer components? Motherboard Make and Model, Video Card specs, Etc.
Here is some info on your error code see link here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742
Read this article and if running XP SP2 be sure you have this update which has link in article to download.
Thanks!

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 01:33 AM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey

thanks for your speedy and quick response. I can always count on this website for their efficient and effective aid. Anyways, yes I have been to that microsoft website and completed installing this update. The day I installed it, instead of going to a the stop error the game freeze and the screen turned just black. And my monitor turned into standby mode as if my computer was shut off but it wasnt as I could still hear my pc running. The next day, I tried again but this time it went back to the stop error so I figured the update wasnt the solution to my problem. Anyways here are my comp specs: thanks again for helping.

Intel Core2Duo 6600 @ 2.40GHz
Asus P5L-MX
ATI RADEON X800 <--yes very outdated :)
Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit
and I do not remember the make and model of my memory, can you tell me how I can find it? (i'm not sure if you will need it)

That basically sums it up.
Thanks again.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
It sounds like you may be having an overheating problem with the Ati card. I would install Ati Tray Tools which is handy utility for Ati cards to change fan speed, temp monitoring, etc. Then I would open up case(please unplug computer first!) and be sure to clean video card fan, inspect heatsink, and any case obstructions which might hinder proper cooling of the card. Artifacts can arise from overheating of gpu. You may also look into trying different set of video drivers. Recent Ati driver releases have been hit and miss for many Ati users. If you have a different video card try popping that in to see if anything changes also.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 12:39 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
thanks alot for your quick response. I will definitely try that and see if those are the cases. When I finish all the given procedures I will report back to you ASAP.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Once you are up and running again using Ati tray tools post back video card temp and environment temp found in Ati Tray Tools. Also let me know the current driver you are using for Ati Card, and whether you have tried new driver.

Once up and running you can test 3d out by going to start-run- type"dxdiag" then go to display tab and run through the available tests and post back those results.

Thanks,

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 12:47 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
hey again,

one more thing as I am not familiar with tweaking could you please tell me how I would use it and what configurations or settings I should set for the tray tool?

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

hey again,

one more thing as I am not familiar with tweaking could you please tell me how I would use it and what configurations or settings I should set for the tray tool?

lol forget what i just said haha you posted just a few seconds before me. the efficiency of the helpers on this site is insane!

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
o yea one last question sorry for all these questions but should I check the gpu temperatures while running a video game? or just when my system is idle? and how do I use tray tools to check my temperatures?

Edited by thajoker, 20 October 2007 - 12:54 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I did a quick edit of my last post read last line. As far as tweaking with ati tray tools I would only use it for troubleshooting and to speed up fan run speeds, check temps etc. You can check out 3dguru for lots of info on ati tray tools and video card related info. http://downloads.gur...oad.php?det=733

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
First I would check just normal operating temps then move on to checking out 3d temps while gaming. It has built in feature which remembers highest temps seen. Once installed right click on red icon for tray tools then choose hardware feautures to get to the temp monitoring section. You can look through the setting available at this time. I believe one of choices will be system tray monitoring which displays temps in the sys tray. You can mouse over these temps to see highest temps seen while running. You will also see a motherboard monitor available along with monitoring graphs. With monitoring graphs you can chose what you want to monitor if I remember correctly. On the overclock setting found in the hardware tab you will see a tab at top of window for fans. You can go into fans tab and chose to increase speed of video card fan relative to increase in temperature of card. You will have to save a profile for this which is all located in the fan window. My settings are such that as my ati card starts warming up my fans increase speed in short time. As far as overclocking goes stay away from those settings. We are only trying to see at this point if heat is a problem with your card or possible driver issue. If you do have a spare card laying around by trying this card out we can prove problem is with card and or drivers.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 01:15 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I have to head out for a few jobs will check back later how you made out. I am sure some others will help out also. Right now we want to get to the source of problem with the video issues while gaming. Post back temps you see and the current drivers you are using for your video card.

Thanks

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 01:29 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

Thanks again. I had just installed the latest ATI Video Drivers for my computer after you told me to. Currently the version of my Driver is 7.10 included in the ATI Catalyst 7.10 XP Package from the ATI Website. Just now I was running World in Conflict to check on the temperatures of my gpu. In the middle of the game after around 10 mins from starting the application up, the game froze and the entire screen turned into a grid-like pattern but still being able to see objects in the game. After I quickly ended the process before my computer crashed, I discovered that my desktop had some weird effects. e.g. icons were split into 2, internet explorer headings are unreadable etc. I really hope you can help me solve this problem. Does this mean I need a new video card? Btw here are the temperatures of my GPU:

Idle - GPU Min 51 Max 51
Environment Min 42 Max 43

While Running World in Conflict - GPU Min 51 Max 88
Environemtn Min 42 Max 50

And Here are my current settings for fan speed:
Temp - Fan Speed
0-55%
65-75%
70-85%
75-100%
80-100%
85-100%
90-100%
100-100%

thanks

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Try unistalling drivers and go back to driver version 7.7. You should set your fan speeds(ati tray tool) to come up to at least 90% when vpu temp hits 63c and 100% at 65C. The 88 is fairly hot. I have seen alot of corruption with ati drivers versions 7.10, 7.9, and 7.8. Driver version 7.7 has had most success for me personally. Be sure to install display and catalyst driver 7.7. The Catalyst control center should have vpu recovery enabled. This helps to prevent shutdown.

I would have video fans to start at 65% speed at temp of 45C and ramp up to 100% speed using ati tray tools when vpu hits 65C.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 01:57 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
I will follow your instructions but I am just wondering if it just the fact that my video card simply isnt enough to run the games I am trying to play? But for some games such as FIFA08 I see the white lines that flash but I can play it just fine without any problems, lag, or crashing. Is it just that my video card is not capable of running high-requirement games? Or is something just wrong with my card?