Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Issue?

• Please log in to reply

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I suspect more than anything that temperature is a big issue. I have seen this with many ati cards recently. It is almost like ati or ati video card providers set the fans way to low for the card. I have fixed at least 6 computers lately including my own running ati 1950 pro with same exact problem. The only reliable drivers I have found for my own setup using HIS agp 1950 pro 512M has been version 7.7. In later versions common problems of the driver included desktop icon corruption or strange display of desktop. 7.7 has been rock steady on the installs I have done. I believe ati fan speeds are very low for 3d gaming on most of these cards and also they may have a bit of a heatsink problem. Increasing fan speeds along with a rock steady driver makes all the difference in my experience lately.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 02:05 PM.

Advertisements

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Thanks alot. Now I understand your perspective. Could you please send me a link as to where I can download 7.7 Driver? Also what would you like me to do after I install the driver? And what would you like me to post in my next post?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Here is link to 7.7 drivers grab both catalyst and display drivers. http://ati.amd.com/s...p-cat77-xp.html

Basic installation instructions: http://support.ati.c...uestionID=20870

Ati catalyst does have its own uninstall utility built in. Check your driver version once you finish with new installation to be sure you have 7.7 version installed.

Then be sure to set the fan settings I mentioned in previous post using ati tray tools. You know you have saved profile correctly for fan settings when the fan settings display new setting when hopping back into ati tray tools. you create a profile with some name, click apply then save profile and use that default profile. There is a choice in there to run profile only when 3d in in use. I usually have this checked.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 03:56 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Ok this should help you out with setting your fans using ati tray tools: http://www.tweakguid...m/ATICAT_1.html

This explains catalyst control center settings and also ati tray tool several pages long. Ati tray tools info starts on page 9.

If the 7.7 drivers dont work you may try going back to driver version 6.12 http://ati.amd.com/s...-cat612-xp.html
I say this only because most of the lastest drivers have been aimed at newer cards and much of the revisions are aimed at Vista support.

Here is a general page from ati with common game problems with this card http://support.ati.c....asp?deptID=894

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 04:43 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

Thanks for your instructions and advice. I have already set the fan settings to the values you told me to change but I have yet to install the ATI 7.7 Driver which I will do very soon as alot things have came up lately and I've been quite busy so I don't have time to play games anyways. Back to the point, I will read the instructions and guides you linked me to as soon as possible and install 7.7 as I dont want to rush and make a mistake in any of the procedures. Thanks again and I'll be sure to get back to you as soon as possible. I just don't want this topic to be closed. Thanks again.

Angus

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Alright. I have done everything you told me to. The version of my ATI Display driver is 7.7 and I set the fan speeds according to the numbers you told me to input. What should I do now? Also, I have two questions. (Sorry for bombarding you with questions) So the first is, for ATI Tray Tools where does it give me an option to run my profile only when 3d is in use? Because from one of your previous posts you told me it was preferred to have this option enabled. I cannot find it under the Fan Tab in Overclocking settings. Also my second question is that now whenever I run a game there is a yellow/ red number that is displayed on the top right corner of the screen but ONLY when I am in 3d. What does this number tell me? And is there a way to get rid of it? I know its a feature of ATI Tray Tools because it has never been there before until after i installed ATITT. That's basically all I wanted to ask. Looking forward to your next reply.

Angus

O yea. One more question. How do i check the version of my display drivers so I can reassure myself that I have 7.7 installed?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
ok right click on tray tools then -tools and options -make sure enable onscreen display is not checked(This is FPS tool). Disregard the enable 3d only remark. That was only for overclocking which mysetup is using when running 3d. How is that driver working out what does your screen look like gaming now, what are the temps you are seeing while gaming? IF the 7.7 drivers dont work out you may want to go back to 6.12 mentioned in a previous post. I am real curious to see what your max temps are right now with those fans settings while gaming.

My ati card runs 43c normal useage, while gaming highest it sees is about 57C max. This just a reference, I have very large case with good airflow and the ati card I have has huge heatsink and large cooling fan.

*Extra note(general info for all) if you live in a cold area and place a computer too close to a heating source you can be sucking in very warm air. A little obvious to most, but I actually had a build for a college student which ran athlon xp processor and they were having heat problems. Found out later they had it sitting right next to heater at dorm inches away, they had no control over heater and it was putting out tons of heat.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 23 October 2007 - 03:25 PM.

thajoker

thajoker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hey,

Sorry for my late reply. I wanted to test the new performance of my computer for awhile to check for consistency but it appears once again that artifacts appear during a game. First, it starts off light an hardly noticeable artifacts/ little flashes on my screen. Then turns into frequent lines and from there, the huge grid thing that allow the game to continue running but you can barely see what is going on. I am positive that I set everything to all the settings you told me and the video driver is at 7.7. I'm starting to suspect my video card just isn't good enough and does not meet the requirements of the games I am playing. But, I used to be able to play the previous versions of the games im playing without problems such as FIFA 07 (no problems), but FIFA 08, I can't and I am certain that the graphical improvements are scarce. Anyways, maybe its time to get a new gpu?

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello thajoker,

Sorry it took a little while to get back, working 12 hour shifts for six days(very early work hours 5am). It sounds like you are still experiencing temperature issues with your video card. The artifacts will appear and usually worsen as the card temperature increases. Can you post back highest temps seen when gaming(artifacting starts) and a general description of what you have setup for case fans and arrangement in/out of your fans. The ati driver version which works best for your card may take several attempts to narrow down most stable driver.