Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disable "the connection with the server was reset"

• Please log in to reply

.:{EK}:. Squall

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Since i live quite far from my ISP's ASDL exchange, my connection sometimes gets disconnected. This poses a problem if i am downloading a large file, suppose if i have downloaded 78% of the file and my connection disconnects and reconnects in about 10+ seconds, internet explorer stops/cancels the download and displays "The connection with the server was reset" , resulting in a complete waste of the time i had been downloading.

Is there any way to perhaps increase the timeout value when downloading files in Internet Explorer sp hat it wouldnt cancel my downloads if a disconnect occurred?

thanks for any help :)

Advertisements

ViprXX

ViprXX

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
first you can try doing a repair install of IE to see if that helps. if not then you can try the following if you have windows xp sp2 then try clicking start button then click Run... then type cmd and click enter, then in the command prompt type netsh winsock reset and hit enter. if you just have winxp without sp2 then just do a search on google for winsock reset and download one of the fixes and run it. hope this helps some.

good luck

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a limitation of Internet Explorer.
For downloading big files you ideally need either a more reliable internet connection or a separate download manager that's capable of downloading from where you left off last time.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yeah, for the time being im using Firefox, i can easily configure the timeout value using about:config in the address bar.

thanks for the advice guys.

alexanderthegreat

alexanderthegreat

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey can you please tell me how to config it in firefox I'm having the same problem and its quite annoying. I typed about:config but don't know where to go from there.
Thank you so much