Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dual booting XP Home with Linux

• Please log in to reply

Relemar

Relemar

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Hello, I've always wanted to dual boot so if anything goes wrong I can switch OS, then get my files and then reformat or reinstall XP or Linux in this matter. I am strongly thinking about dual booting my current winxp home sp2, with Ubuntu.

What would be the necessary steps, and can someone find me a guide/tutorial please? <3 I only have one HDD and one partition, so I need a full guide.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
I did this once, Used XP Pro and Ubuntu on one hard drive, I will soon be doing it again but this time on 2 hard drives. Anyway, to make life easier for myself the first time i did it, i used partition magic and created a linux partition on one of my partitions. That worked like a charm. I had no hassles at all, just read what the install is asking you to do very carefully and don't confuse drive C: with D: for example :)

If you want a guide i can look for you when i have time, which is no right now coz i am going to watch the World Cup Final tonight, need i say more?

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
Thanks for the help, I'd be glad if you could help me find a dual booting guide. As I want step by step..

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
if you don't mind it being kubuntu(which I prefer anyway being kde) here's a full link about doing it here
http://www.geekstogo...o...&hl=kubuntu

Relemar

Relemar

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
That's fine, thanks alot :) Appreciated.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
np,

since I wrote that intro, I have begun to prefer the ISO test over trying the wubi install, simple because one knows what one is letting oneself into with the live CD test and can choose not to install if kubuntu doesn't fit your system specs, loading the system to ram mean ones system is uneffected when one reboots(harddrive is untouched)

Edited by fleamailman, 20 October 2007 - 04:02 AM.