Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

USB ports weird problems.

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello guys,

I guess I'll start with telling you my laptop specs: I have a Packard Bell EasyNote SB85 that I bought just a month ago. It has Intel Core Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00 Ghz, 2 gig RAM, Windows Vista Home Premium and nVidia GF 8600M GS. There's also 4 USB ports along the side of the laptop, 3 on the right side and 1 on the left side.

The problem starts yesterday when I plugged in a Toshiba (I don't know the type, sorry) external harddrive. It's one of those mini HD (which don't have any power supply cable, it uses two USB inputs to 'tap' power from the USB host.) Now usually I just plugged one of the cable, because that usually works.

But now when I plugged the device in one of the right side USB ports, my laptop suddenly shuts down on itself. When I turned the laptop on it seems that my mouse (which also plugged in the USB port on the right side of the laptop) stops working. There's no error message on the taskbar or anything, it just stops working. I've to tell you that my mouse is one of those that lights up when plugged in a USB port, but now the light isn't working. It's as if the mouse isn't connected at all. Same goes with the earlier mentioned HD. The status light is dead and my laptop doesn't recognized it (Once again, without an error message, the HD just doesn't appear at all.). I've tried it with my other HD, which has its own power supply and the same things occurs. I've tried plugging the devices on the 3 different USB ports on the right side of my laptop and still, the devices won't do anything.

The funny thing is, my mouse works when I plugged it in the single USB port on my laptop's left side. I haven't tried this with my harddrive out of fear that my laptop will shutdown again.

When I checked the Device Manager, it seems like there's no problems at all with the USB root hub and controller. The drivers are the newest one so updating them won't do anything at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver (btw, windows did the reinstalling automatically) and the 3 right side ports still don't work. The power management thing in the USB properties are also unchecked. I've also tried shutting down the laptop, removing power cord and battery for like 8 hours and the right side USB ports are still dead.

So here I am, asking if one of you fine lads might know the solution of the pretty much annoying problem. I'm not really good at computer terms and the technical part, so I would really appreciate it if you could explain it in a bit to me.

Also, please excuse my bad English. I know I'm really bad at the grammar.

Thanks in advance.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Did you put in a 2.5" drive (laptop) in a caddy or a 3.5" drive (desktop) in a caddy?
This sounds like a power issue, does it behave in this fashion when running off the battery or does it do it also with the power pack? It also sounds like the caddy unit is dead if there's no sign of life from it. If you have another computer, those caddies will also work in a desktop machine.