Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Won't post after installing Tuniq cooling tower

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I took out the stock cooler and put in a tuniq cooling tower (with the fan). I have the Tuniq seated on the CPU, I used the thermal paste, I have the lead from the fan plugged into the CPU fan pin on my board (gigabyte 965P-s3 rev. 1), and I have the fan controller that comes with the tower plugged in and cranked to the high setting. I'm pretty sure I have the 2 sata drives connected to the headers they were on before, and everything else seems to be in order. But when I hit power, the PSU fan and the graphics card fan will start to spin, and then immediately stop. Then the computer will repeat every 3-5 seconds: on for not even a second and then immediately off. It's almost like an electronic stall.

What should I check for most likely culprits, and what would cause it to behave that way on power up.

Thanks,
Jimb

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first remove and reinstall the heatsink and fan ...remember to much thermal paste is as bad as no paste...its only supposed to fill microscopic scratches ..check all your power connectors ...no joy

try disconnecting everything except the monitor keyboard and mouse and your fans..

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Ripped it and stripped it:
1.reinstalled tuniq; used same amount of paste I used when I put the stock cooler on at build
2. took out memory, plugged in only graphics, board and fans.
3. What do you mean by check power connectors? I checked all connections at the cards/board/psu.

The result is still the same, except now there is an audible bzzzz when it tries to power up.

I have another question that may be related. The stock intel cooler has a 4 pin connection, as does the board. the fans that I now have in the case are 3 pin. Would this cause any problem? (I plugged the 3 pin onto the 4 pin header using the slot guide.)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the audible bzzzz sounds like the board is shorting out...you didn't drop a screw did you

The stock intel cooler has a 4 pin connection, as does the board. the fans that I now have in the case are 3 pin. Would this cause any problem?

yep...try the stock heatsink and fan...plus plug in 1 stick of ram....

What do you mean by check power connectors

make sure everything is connected properly..
but for now to further isolate the problem ...unplug the power to the hard drives and and any cd/dvd drives..floppy ...any usb stuff and all your case fans except the cpu fan

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Shorting the CMOS reset pins got the comp to "turn over"- graphics fan running, Tuniq fan running- but I got smoke :) from cpu area..... I'll check back with a damage assessment.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sounds like you got to much thermal paste..the Metal based kind..
if you are not very experienced with applying it, there is a chance that when you place the heatsink, some of the paste can be squeezed out onto theses transistors/electrical components and cause a short.
the lowdown on thermal paste is here...

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
scorched earth! I blackened the chip adjacent to the NB Cooler. Noob mistakes...Turns out an edge of the cooler was touching the side of the case. I couldn't see it because it was under the lip of the case.... At least everything else was unplugged and Graphics card seems okay. So, it seems I will be purchasing a new MOBO this week. My question is:
Will I be purchasing a board and a core? i.e., What are the chances I fried the core?

The Vaio I'm using now is unfortunately a P4 board, so I can't test the core with this comp.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I was incorrect about smoke coming from the CPU; it was the chip beside the northbridge.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Will I be purchasing a board and a core? i.e., What are the chances I fried the core?

no way to know without putting it in a good board and trying it...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The board in your HTPC will run the pentium 4, you could test it that way.
James

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

The board in your HTPC will run the pentium 4, you could test it that way.

The board in the HTPC is the one I fried; and the core I need to test is the C2D- won't work in my Viao :)

I overnighted a new board from MWAVE: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L INTEL P35 CHIPSET ATX FORM FACTOR. One twenty three shipped! We'll find out tomorrow if the core got scorched.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Sorry thought it was the other way around. You ordered a good board, I have one similar to it, and I like it alot. Word of warning though, it's really fussy with the voltages of RAM I find. So be sure your voltages are set right and be sure to flash your BIOS, as the most recent mobo updates address the issue in the most part, as well as give you the 1:1 multiplier should you like to overclock.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 October 2007 - 08:37 PM.

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
Is is difficult to flash the bios?

I never did it for my fried board b/c I couldn't get it it to recognize the floppy drive from my Viao, and lots of forums said using the online bios flash utility is suicide. So, is the online flash utility okay to use?...because my memory is OCZ PC-800 and I think it is rated to run higher than the board's default 1.9 volts.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Gigabyte simplified it, it's all done within the OS. Basically it works similar to windows update. The tool you use is called @BIOS, so far I'm impressed.
You can find more information regarding the program here.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 October 2007 - 07:06 PM.