Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Front panel connectors?

• Please log in to reply

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hey folks, nice forum ya have here. I'm doing my first system build, and I
have a quick question:

The motherboard (EVGA nForce 680i SE SLI) has 1 plug for a front-panel connector. My case's front
panel has 3 plugs coming off the front panel - one is labeled USB, one is labeled Audio, and the other isn't labeled at all. I can only plug one of th
ese in. The front-panel capability I really want is the USB ports. I don't
care about the firewire, and I can do without the headset and mic jacks. S
o, should I plug in the one labled USB?

I know this is a dumb noob question. Gotta learn somehow I guess.. thanks
for any help!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The front panel connector is for your front lights, your switch and your reset switch, not anything else.
Please don't plug your USB or front audio or Firewire in here, you may cause damage that will not be covered by your warranty.

There should be another set of stand-offs somewhere on the board for you to plug USB and front audio and maybe firewire in. These will be documented in the manual.

Having had a quick look at the board itself, there are two blue connectors above the CMOS battery, your USB front audio most likely goes there, and your front audio looks like it could go on one of the block connectors bottom left of the board or the red block connectors (again these could possible be for Firewire though so do check with your manual).

Now having flicked through the manual from the EVGA website, we can work out that the blue connectors above the battery are for your USB ports on the front of the case. So to answer your question, you plug them in one of those jumper blocks. Front Audio is the block of jumpers extreme bottom left of the board, therefore the red block must be for Firewire.

stearmandriver

stearmandriver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Gotcha, thanks. I was just looking at the manual too. Strangely, it didn't come with the board, so I just found it online.

Kinda weird that they all have the same plug size, but yeah, the manual shows where they go. Thanks for the help though; glad I didn't try my first impulse and just plug in the USB! ;-)