Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer Problem

• Please log in to reply

Lost Mind

Lost Mind

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I am running Windows XP Pro SP2, Internet Explorer version 7.

Internet explorer was running just fine, until a day i used microsoft update (about 1 or 2 weeks ago), and it required a restart. After the restart it wouldn't open any page by the domain name. In example it won't open http://www.google.com/ but it will open http://209.85.135.103/

Mozilla firefox works just fine. I am having this problem about a week now and i can't seem to be solving it. Used sfc /scannow, re-installed with IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe file i got from microsoft but still not working.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Lost Mind, 20 October 2007 - 02:49 PM.

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Have you reset Internet Explorer back to defaults.

To do this.

Click on tools.
Click on Internet Options.
Click on Advanced.
Click on reset.

This will reset Internet Explorer back to default and will loose any custom settings/saved passwords.

Mysti Cure

Mysti Cure

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Yes i've tried that it didn't work. Someone said to me i should use system restore to an older date but it has been more than 2 weeks, which means i have to restore back around to 10 October, and i really don't remember all the files created by that date to backup them.

I didn't mention that i also tried to remove the updates installed, but the updates don't really seem to be causing this. Though i'm sure i used microsoft update, it asked for a reboot and after that it wasn't working :/

One thing i want to ask is, if i use system restore, simply to check if explorer is going to work, can i undo it somehow and return to the current date, so i don't lose any file? (Unless you advise me to do something else of course)

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Ok just to sum it up you have.

1.) Rolled back IE to IE6 and reinstalled IE.
2.) Reset IE.

I would not do a system restore 2 weeks back that is too far and can cause system stability issues. I will need to do some research in regards to this.

Mysti Cure

Mysti Cure

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I never rolled back to IE6, because i never had IE6 on this OS. Internet Explorer 7 was along with the Windows XP Installation Disk, and it's not possible to get back to IE6 i've tried it lot of times, but it's an older version and it won't install it.

Along with the sum i've also tried sfc /scannow, ipconfig /flushdns (some other guy told me to), deleted hosts file, removed those windows updates i got, that's what i can remember.

Looking forward to your reply.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I will need to do some research in regards to this and will get back with you.