Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI doesn't work, no sound device detected on computer

• Please log in to reply

computer newbie

computer newbie

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have no sound on my computer. I checked the sound devices and there isn't one detected, and I went to device manager and there is a warning symbol next to the PCI modem. I tried uninstalling then reinstalling it but when I go to reinstall, it tells me that there is no driver for this device. Please help, thanks!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Please give us the make and model of your computer. Perhaps you can download a program like SIW to see if it can recognize what your hardware is. If not then even any motherboard identification you can find would help.

SRX660

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a Dell Dimension E310 with Windows XP Media Edition. Thanks for your reply! :)

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres the dell drivers. You will need to run the SIW progtam to see if it can tell if you need the creative drivers or the sigmatel drivers.

SIW website

http://www.gtopala.com/

Dell Drivers for sound only

http://support.dell..../...&hidlang=en

And here is modem drivers if you need them. You will have to find out by running SIW as to what modem you have so you can run the proper driver program to install the software.

http://support.dell..../...&hidlang=en

You will download the drivers exe file to a folder you can remember where and then double click on the exe file to install the drivers. Please make sure you have the correct drivers for each. If SIW does not tell you , you can look at the motherboard to see if there is a name on one of the chipsets or card that matches the drivers name tag.

SRX660

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I will try this right away, thanks so much for your fast reply :)

computer newbie

computer newbie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks very much. I downloaded the sigmatel drivers because I found a document that came with the computer that said those were the drivers. I am learning so much about computers by lurking on this site. The sound works perfectly now.

Thanks again :)