Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost photos

• Please log in to reply

mdix44

mdix44

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
When making a backup disc of photos on my PC I copied a number of files and pasted them into the drive with the disc in.

I got a message saying that there was not enough room on the disc so I removed from the disc three files. The backup disc was made but when I returned to my the original picture files they contained icons for each photo with a small box and a red cross in each.

Running picture recovery software has not found the missing photos.

I am bemused as I didn't cut them, I only copied them so surely they should remain unaltered.

Ant idea how I can get them back?

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello Mdix44

Can you clarify a little more. You copied photos out of a folder and dropped them onto a disk. The cd/dvd disk did not show enough room so you removed a few photos. My question is did the cd/dvd disk actually contain true copies when you were done or just shortcut icons? Are any photos left from where you copied them from?

The good news-If they are missing from the hard drive and not available on cd/dvd you may still be able to recover them provided you havent wrote a lot of new data to the hard drive.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 22 October 2007 - 01:08 AM.

mdix44

mdix44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The disc contains photos and the majority of the original photos are still on my hard drive where I copied them from.

I have done a receovery scan of my hard drive but the missing photos are not there

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Hello mdix44,

I have a few recovery software programs listed under my signature. You may want to give them a try, if you put them on your current drive you do risk writing over data. Best method would be if you had another computer to install recovery software onto and hook up your drive with pics as a slave or in external case. Are you only missing the three? Did you do a search for all JPEG on computer first? The handy recovery is demo only but is most powerful program it will allow you to see if any data still exists. The panda recovery is a free utility without all of features of handy recovery.