Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Playing my own personal CDs (designated WMAs)

• Please log in to reply

maryjane333

maryjane333

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I ripped 3 of my personal CDs on Windows Media Player...I play them, and there is NO sound....I've checked, and they are designated WMA's..............how can this be? I own the CDs...Thanks much

Advertisements

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Does this happen with other CDs you try to rip? It might be rip-protection on the CD...

maryjane333

maryjane333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks Landlord.......these CDs are called: WMAs.......they are old--maybe 8 years...I'm not certain, but I don't think I have sound on any of the CDs I own personally...I'll go check........

maryjane333

maryjane333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Landlord...one more question: Is there a way to change a WMA to a MP3........someone told me I could have sound with a MP3.......Is this true? Thanks again..MJ

Tal

Tal

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,138 posts
Hi MaryJane,

I think you'll get more exposure to this topic if it gets moved to the technical forums. I'll let someone know so they'll move this thread.

On topic: Try FreeRip - it can save your CDs to the computer in MP3, WMA, or whatever format you'd like :)

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you have any other issues playing music or cd's with wmp?

maryjane333

maryjane333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks much, Landlord...........I just checked....The songs I ripped are protected>>> wma's....I bought the CDs, so I can't understand how they can be protected by anyone but me? Thanks for the site......Do I just wait until I hear from the Tech area? MJ

starjax.......No...I can rip, and burn......I've done it many times....but this one has me stumped....No sound on the copy I made of my OWN music......lol

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
taken from the wmp help menu:

(Optional) To select a different format (for example, MP3 instead of WMA) or bit rate (for example, 192 Kbps instead of 128 Kbps) for the files that are created during ripping, click the arrow below the Rip tab, and then make your selections from the Format and Bit Rate menus.

Copy protect music. Select this option if you want ripped files to be protected with media usage rights. For more information about copy protection, see Rip music: frequently asked questions.

I would go under your options for ripping music and make sure that "copy protect" is not checked/disabled.

maryjane333

maryjane333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Starjax: Great information...thanks so much......Don't leave me yet ok? I may not be able to try these things until tomorrow..........I'll be back........xxx