Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU upgrade ---> blue screen

• Please log in to reply

Rico750

Rico750

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
Hi guys,

i just upgraded for an AMD athlon 2400+ 266 FSB 256 l2 cache to an AMD athlon 2800+ 333 FSB 512 l2 cache.

I set all the bios setting right (default) as asus recomended but it gives me blue screens on de default speed. (2083 mhz) 166 x 12.5 i believe. on vcore 1.65v

If i set the cpu on lower speed for example 1667 mhz (as another bios option) it seems to run without blue screens. The problem is not temprature because it runs on 32 degrees celcius ( ZALMAN RULES !! )

Do you guys maybe think think that you have to re-install windows if you upgrade CPU?

Thanks so much! all help is welcome.

Rik

Advertisements

Clutch13

Clutch13

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I dont think so i thnk u should reinstall windows when u switch mobos but i think u should wait for some one elses idea

Edited by Clutch13, 16 April 2005 - 10:56 PM.

clyde

clyde

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Rico,
I've never done an mobo/cpu upgrade before but plan to real soon. That's why I'm in here reading all these post. However, here is what I found on Microsoft's site: http://support.micro...kb;en-us;824125. Hope it helps.
Clyde

Rico750

Rico750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Anyone ever did this?

Thx

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Yep, done loads of upgrades.

Firstly, what type of DDR are you using? ie DDR2100, 2700 etc

Also, what model of asus motherboard do you have & bios version (if you know it)

Rico750

Rico750

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
i use the asus a7v8x-x with bios version 13

memory is 512 DDR 2700 x 3

i found the problem.. i bought new memory on ebay that i installed the same time. The memory s*cked. Dont buy that cheap memory it doesnt work right... blue screens etc... rather pay some more and then your sure it works!

Thx guys

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Yea its hard to by computer parts on Ebay especially ram its hit or miss and most times you don't save that much.

Rick

acehardy

acehardy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
One way of fouling windows is the if you buy a new motherboard and cpu the day of goto devices and uninstall all the cpu and motherboard drivers and install new stuff that way windows detects the new items and no need to reinstall. Worked for me.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
acehardy,

Yes that can work at times but I normally don't recommend it because it can also cause headaches at times to, my guess is the drivers sometimes don't uninstall completely and then cause stability issues that look like hardware problems and you get into a bunch of unessasary trouble shooting.

I just don't understand if you go to all the trouble of upgrading cpu's and mobo's for performance reasons why not have a good clean install of the OS and gain its performance increase also.

One other note if you just change cpu's then there is no need to reinstall the OS

Rick

Edited by Doby, 19 April 2005 - 08:19 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Doby is absolutely right in his last post.....in my experience, system upgrades such as this which don't have a clean install of windows, tend to be glitchy & unstable.

Like Doby said, why to go to all the trouble & expense of upgrading but then not bothering to reformat & reinstall the OS?

acehardy

acehardy

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi your right I ran a brand new install of XP pro but getting blue screens on startup and will in windows blue screens everywhere. What the heck could this be now. I had a clean install and ran great for weeks used the Error nuker that was advertised on here under get rid of blue screen error[SIZE=7] I ran bug doctor and reg cleaner even spybot, Miscrosoft antispyware programs and scaned for viruses. Anyone please help.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Acehardy

Test your RAM. You can download memtest86 (freeware) or similar to do this.
Follow this link for memtest86 :
http://majorgeeks.co...wnload4226.html