Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no encryption key found

• Please log in to reply

fudgeomaha

fudgeomaha

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just bought a 2wire 803.11g PCI wireless adapter for the desktop from a friend from work. Im running into a little problem. I dont see the encryption key on the card. The numbers that I do see dont work when I key them in. Is there a way to bypass this? Do you have any suggestions?

Appreciate ya
Oklahoma city

Edited by fudgeomaha, 20 October 2007 - 06:11 PM.

Advertisements

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
The wireless adapter is the antennae connected to pci slot or via usb to computer. The encryption key would be found/setup in a wireless router.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 06:59 PM.

fudgeomaha

fudgeomaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The encryption key to my router is 21 characters long. The PCI card is 10.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Can you post back your wireless system specs make model and also manufacturer of the card you are installing.

Are you referring to MAC on the card?

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 07:26 PM.

fudgeomaha

fudgeomaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i only see the S/N and the MAC number.
According to the installation info online it says that there should be a sticker on the bottom. Unfortunately its not there

Heres what Im using,

2WIRE 802.11g PCI WIRELESS adapter
Linksys wireless router WRK54G

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Ok here is some info from manufacturer on obtaining activation key.

http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=72 Read where the yellow key is pictured.

Hopefully this helps.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 08:05 PM.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
The encryption key is for your router not your card. Did you install the software that came with this card? If not you need to find the driver for the card. Find your driver Here Once the card is detecting your network then enter your encryption key.

Hope this Helps

Tom

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
It is actually a product activation key, not encryption key. Label is missing from card. To obtain new one http://www.2wire.com/index.php?p=72

fudgeomaha

fudgeomaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes I installed the driver but in this process it says to enter the the serial number and the encryption key it says that they are located on the bottom of the device and they are 10 digit each. Mine has the bar code like in the directions but it does not have the encryption code in brackets. It has a combination of letters and numbers but they are to long. It only allows for so many digits in both the fields.
Neither the serial number or the encryption code fit in this area. I am thinking there might be another sticker missing. It lets me get all the way to the point of configuring it where I would enter this info and I cannot go any further without them unless there is a way to get around it.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
In reading up some more on product the gateway which I assume your friend still has; would have the full blown label on it. This product sounds like it will only work with that gateway, a proprietary setup. There is a chance if you have this info from friend it may work with other routers.

Step 3 "Enter the serial number and encryption
key from your 2Wire wireless gateway,
then click the Begin Wireless
Configuration button to configure your adapter"

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 08:26 PM.

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Note: The HomePortal default settings include wireless security (WEP). To connect to the HomePortal, you will need to configure the third-party wireless adapter with the HomePortal security key. This is a 64-bit, hexidecimal WEP key and is located on the bottom of the HomePortal unit near the serial number. It appears in brackets (e.g. [0123456789]).

This was posted on their site referring to 3rd party adapters accessing their base unit which is sold to cable companies. So I am assuming as long as you can get info off of the original base unit then the adapter will work with other base units, they have made it difficult due to an activation key which is only found on the base unit sticker not the adapter.

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 20 October 2007 - 08:33 PM.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
My two cents: According to 2wire the card is to be used with the dsl router. Your friend should have the Key. Or try 2 wires support they should be able to help you locate a code. If not a Pci Wireless card is not that expensive and you can get them just about anywhere computers are sold here is one from best buyPci Card best buy.

Hope this helps.

Tom

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Agree with Hawaiantom.

fudgeomaha

fudgeomaha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I think it will be easier if I do go and buy a new one. I appreciate everyones input on this subject.

Thanks!