Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless problems with Netgear WGT624

• Please log in to reply

chubbsxx

chubbsxx

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
Can someone please help? I know very little about computers, my daughter has just bought herself a laptop e-system 3115. We have also purchased a Netgear Router WGT624 V3. I have set the router up to my computer and all is working fine, all the the lights are working as they should. The laptop e-system 3115 recognisies the the router but when you press connect it keeps saying cannot connect to the connection i made. I have been on the phone to netgear for 90 mins and they have took me through lots of different tests and system changes, but to no avail. They tell me the router is fine and the wireless card on laptop is working ok, they are telling me its a Windows vista problem and there could be 50 different setting issues. Not sure what to do now. Thanks.

Advertisements

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I am not an expert with Wireless set up but I do have a Laptop and a Desktop set up and operating Wireless at my home by me...So let's see if I can provide some assistance...Based on the information you have provided I am also curious if in the lower right hand corner by your clock area better known as the Systray, if you have a computer there with or without a red X over it ??? There's a possibility the Laptop is not connecting to the router because it needs what's called SSID...Hopefully you made a note of that when you installed/set up the router and if not you can go into your router settings to obtain it...Are you familiar on how to do that ??? If not, you will need to go to your Internet page and type in 192.168.1.1 and on the small box that should appear type in the first one Admin -click ok...If that does not let you in then in the second box type Admin-then ok...Hopefully you have gained access and you will be looking for the SSID info...

After you accomplish that mission, please go to your control panel and in the last row of Icons, look for and click on Wireless set up...I am basing these steps on memory so bare with me...At some point you may be asked for the Network name or Network key and this is where your SSID will be needed...Assuming all has gone well up to this point, you can go back into your control panel and look for Network Conections and click on that...If one is listed (because some times others are listed as well), click on the one that may say your name or the name of your router (left click to highlight it), then at the bottom of that screen click on connect. Then your will see a little connection screen appear and when it's done, back out and try your Internet Connection again...Keep us posted...

chubbsxx

chubbsxx

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi
That seems to have fixed the problem, thanks for your help!

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
You're Welcome...Any other questions or problems, please let us know and someone here will be glad to assist you I'm sure...