Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Only MIDI sounds will play no others including wav

• Please log in to reply

KC1029

KC1029

• Pip
  • 2 posts
:tazz: Sound files won't play except MIDI files.

I have a large collection of M3s. I have the following players on my computer:
Real Player, Windows Media Player, Nero Mix and Creative Play Center. I am unable to play my MP3s in any of these. No sounds including Windows .wav sounds will play.

My SB Audigy Quick Start opening screen plays music loud and clear. I then determined that I am able to hear MIDIs. But none of the other sound files will play. Nor can I hear any sounds over the internet.

Two days ago I got the Trojan virus and my PC tech worked on my PC and reinstalled Windows XP sp2. I tried to play my MP3s today for the first time since he worked on the PC and they won't play on any of the players.

After telling my PC tech that, yes, my speakers were plugged in, turned on, with the volume up, he advises that he doesn't know what the problem is and is "too busy" to talk to me.

Can anyone help with this, I really miss my music.

Thank You
Claire

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
maybe your sound is muted.....

see a little speaker in the system tray by the clock...double click it and uncheck any muted options you see...

KC1029

KC1029

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The sound is not muted. I can hear MIDI files. This leads me to believe the problem is recognizing sound file types. And, yes, all file types are selected in Windows Media Player.

KTE88

KTE88

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi KC1029,

I have the same problem as you - I switched on my PC and it would only play midi files and not mp3's or anything else.
Did you ever manage to get a fix for it without reinstalling XP?

Thanks