Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corrupted Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

ryanafleming

ryanafleming

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,
A number of days ago i moved (not copied) all the files on my C: drive to a second partition on the same HD (this did however take a number of tries as some programs were being used and the 'moving' process would cancel half way...nor did I check the files after moving them, though windows spat no error about corrupted files when moving...), then reinstalled windows on the first partition. Once installed, only some of the files from the 2nd partition are working.
These include:
- Text files of the same size in the same folder, one might work while the other however does not.
- Some gaming movies I have downloaded in the past still work as most, however do not as well.
- So far I haven't found any exe or img files that work.

The HD was brand new about 1.5 years ago, its an IDE 200GB Seagate, it is the only HD currently in my system.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
A software recovery program wouldn't be any use at all since there is nothing to recover. what you've done simply doesn't work. when you install a program it writes to the Windows Registry where all the program locations are stored. If you move the program to another drive, the Registry loses track of it and it will no longer work. Other files can be affected in this way too if you move them. You will have to re-install those programs on to the C drive. You can't just move stuff from C to D and expect it all to work as before!

ryanafleming

ryanafleming

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
does this include files such as say, a newly downloaded exe file?

This is because personally, I wouldn't of thought they would be ruined by transferring them from one place to another...like taking it to a friends house via a USB flash drive etc, that doesn't actually corrupt the file despite no registry being preset on the drive.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
it depends on the exe file. if it is a standalone exe file then it should work... however the method you used is quite questionable.... since you MOVED all of c that includes windows so you corrupted those files therefore it's hard to say what would still work as windows is also what you were using to copy those files... you should have just copied what you wanted and then reformated the first partition....

jtscustomcomputers

jtscustomcomputers

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
There is a chance if you can hook up drive in external box or as a slave that you may recover some data with two of the tools listed under my signature. I have been able in past using first tool(Handy Recovery) which is free to try, but must be purchased to recover just about any data even after reformat and repartition. The newest tool is a free one by Panda(just released and free!) and can recover certain files types, in fact I used it last night to recover some data from a drive which had new install of windows on it. You would have to use surface scan feature within software to do this. No guarantees but you stand a chance maybe of getting some info back. The first program Handy recovery does partition recovery and can be run as demo to see what it is capable of finding. Furthermore, you can save an image of the drive such as a failing one and then use that image to extract data. Good way for a last ditch effort on a failing drive to get some data back.

You would have to hook up original drive. The handy recovery is the more powerful program of the two due to ability to recover partition data. I put a pdf file with screenshot below of handy recovery help file info for a better idea on its capabilities.

Attached File  Handy_Recovery_Screenshot.pdf   35.71KB   80 downloads

Edited by jtscustomcomputers, 23 October 2007 - 12:10 PM.

ryanafleming

ryanafleming

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok cheers, thx for the info and you ever heard of bitmart restorer 2000? i was recommended that by a friend, though havn't really heard much on it from any other sources...