Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

scans are larger than real size

• Please log in to reply

badben25

badben25

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
i have a HP PSC-1315 MFD and whenever i scan anything (eg. a picture) the size is bigger than the real size. usually, A4 sheets have sizes like 2300x1100 or whatever, you probably know what i mean. i looked around but i couldn't find any settings related to this, but in HP Director it says the scale is 100%. is there something i am missing? help me out here, please.

Advertisements

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Do you mean that your Pre-Scan image is outside the boundaries? (outside the printable area)

The scan is trying to determine the area, but you should still be able to click on the Pre-Scan image and expand the selection area.

badben25

badben25

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
no all that is perfect, it is just the file saved that is too large in resolution. is it the DPI i should be checking? it is currently set to 200 by default.

PsychPosse

PsychPosse

• PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
Hi Badben25,
I don't have the same scanner that you have but I do have HP and use the director as well.
200 DPI (Dots Per Inch) is the recommended setting for color scans.
Scanned images are always saved as larger than what they are. Higher resolution means a higher quality image. It also means a higher file size. If you don't have a high resolution, your images will not be very sharp.
If you have a smaller image and you try to resize it to be bigger, so it fits into a document you may be printing, your image will not be of very good quality. You can resize the scanned image to fit your documents, by selecting it and grabbing the handles on the side and simply making it smaller. Or you can resize the image in a picture program.