Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

where do items go after deleted from recycle bin

• Please log in to reply

stwain

stwain

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi

i was just wondering after you delete something and it goes to the recycle bin, then u go to the recycle bin and delete it there, where does the item go after that? is it completely erased? how can i get it completely off my computer?

thanks alot :tazz:

-Stwain

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
When you delete it from the recycle bin, you are really only deleting the pointer to the file...the file actually remains on the drive and can sometimes be recovered.

There are various programs that can do this....plus there are various programs that can truly and deeply shred the file address (for lack of a better word) and the actual clusters the data reside in. Even these can be sometimes recovered, depending on how hard you want to work at it.

Here's one:

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

there are many others