Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sharing Folders

• Please log in to reply

Ady33

Ady33

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi all,

Just signed up and am in need og help please.

A few months ago i had my PC connected to a Netgear router and my laptop wi-fi enabled and all was good, then the router packed up and i bought a Belkin router which i'm currently using, the laptop connects to the internet with no problems, i can share folders from PC to laptop but i cant share folders from the laptop to PC.

Anyone have any advice please.

Thanks

Advertisements

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi ady33

I would follow all of the steps here in spacecowboys tutorial located Here Post number 5 is the one that refers to your problem.

Hope this helps

Tom

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks so much for the reply tom,

I follwed the link you posted and by entering my laptop computer name and the folder i wish to view on my PC i could see it, but does that mean i have to do this each time?

Thanks

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
No A home network should now be set up correctly and you should have no more issues.

Tom

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
That's what i thought, but when i close the folder i was viewing on my PC from the laptop then open 'my network places' again there is nothing in there, and if i click on 'view workgroup computers' i get an error regarding the admin account, very strange

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
What is the whole error message.

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The whole error message when clicking on 'view workgroup computers' is:

Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network source. Contact the administrator of this service to find out if you have access permissions.

The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

I'm the admin on this pc it's the only account on here, and i used to be able to share folders fine with my netgear router.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Hi again,

Most likely its a firewall setting. What firewall are you using? Here are instructions for windows firewall. If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected.
If you have a different firewall let me know and I can get instructions for that one.

This should solve your problem

Tom

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

I have kaspersky but i diabled the firewall a while back, i just looked at the windows firewall and the file & printer sharing was already ticked.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
What about the desktop? Also try re running the network setup wizard on this machine as well.

Edited by Hawaiantom, 21 October 2007 - 04:47 PM.

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for this help it's very much appreciated.

The remote desktop is also ticked, i just ran the wizard on PC connected to router and lappy wi-fi.

The laptop woked fine and got to the end where it says create disc, just finish etc, but the PC gave me an error message which says:

Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard, An error occured during configuration of the network on this computer, you can configure your network manually, or you can run the wizard again with different settings.

Just to confirm, on PC i chose 'this computer connects directly to the internet, and other computers connect through this computer.

Hawaiantom

Hawaiantom

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
Ok well try this. On the laptop rerun the network setup again. This time create a disk for use with other machines. Use a thumb drive or a cd. Then go to the pc and open the network setup wizard and select the option to use a disk. Also could you please send me the model # of your router.

sorry about the late reply got wrapped up in the cowboys game.

Tom

Ady33

Ady33

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi,

Maybe i'm being dumb but when i run the network setup on PC (or laptop) i dont see an option to run from disc, all it says is next and to choose which way my computer is connected to the net?

The model no. of router is - F5D7231-4

Thanks