Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java updates

• Please log in to reply

ozzieowl

ozzieowl

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question but here goes.......

I have been doing some uninstalling of superfluous applications to try to free up space. When I look at the list of Java Updates, all of them in excess of 100MB each, I have the following:

JS2E Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 5
ditto Update 6
ditto Update 9
ditto Update 10
ditto Update 11
Java ™ 6 Update 2
Java ™ SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1

My question is simple.......do updates take into account previous updates or are they all completely stand alone? Do I need to keep all of the above and any more that are downloaded or can I just keep 6 Update 2 and ditch the earlier ones?

Thanks for any advice.

Advertisements

RatHat

RatHat

Ex Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 7,829 posts
You should only keep the latest version of Java on your computer, and remove/uninstall the others as Malware can utilise older versions that remain in your machine.

The latest version of Java is Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 3, available here.

Regards,
RatHat

ozzieowl

ozzieowl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks Rat Hat. You have confirmed my simple logic for me.
I suppose the same logic extends to Windows updates. I have so many of them listed as files. If I can identify the latest one is it safe for me to delete all the others?
I am really grateful for your advice
Ken