Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600 GT 512 MB

• Please log in to reply

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
i just bought a nice video card and i thought i'd have higher frames per second. i set it at 150 but it stays at 60.. its not bad its actualy really good im just wondering is there a setting that i can change to make it jump passed 100 fps and have it stable like it is at 60?

thanks

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
I really don't recomend the low end DX10 cards, especially with the cards to be released within 2-3 weeks time.
The only possibility would be overclocking or the purchase of other parts, should they be the bottleneck.
If you are open to new purchases, list your specs and I can suggest something.
James

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
James, I doubt he'd be open to buying a new video card, having just purchased this one.

As for your FPS woes, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "setting" your FPS. I haven't seen many games in which you can do this. What game specifically are you referring to?

However, you mentioning 60 FPS is interesting. If you have v-sync enabled, and your monitor refresh rate is set at 60hz, then your FPS would be capped at 60 FPS.

On the other hand, if this is a more demanding game, then your card just probably isn't powerful enough to deliver more than 60 FPS. You have purchased a mid-range (not low-end, James) video card. To expect 100+ FPS on newer games is ludicrous. In fact, on games like Crysis, you probably won't be getting playable frame rates unless toning down the detail and resolution a lot.

And lastly, as James mentioned, one of your other parts could be a bottleneck. A list of the rest of your specs would be useful.

But why does it really matter? The human eye isn't capable of seeing much above 30 FPS anyways. You will not notice a difference between 60 and 100 FPS.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

James, I doubt he'd be open to buying a new video card, having just purchased this one.

As for your FPS woes, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "setting" your FPS. I haven't seen many games in which you can do this. What game specifically are you referring to?

However, you mentioning 60 FPS is interesting. If you have v-sync enabled, and your monitor refresh rate is set at 60hz, then your FPS would be capped at 60 FPS.

On the other hand, if this is a more demanding game, then your card just probably isn't powerful enough to deliver more than 60 FPS. You have purchased a mid-range (not low-end, James) video card. To expect 100+ FPS on newer games is ludicrous. In fact, on games like Crysis, you probably won't be getting playable frame rates unless toning down the detail and resolution a lot.

And lastly, as James mentioned, one of your other parts could be a bottleneck. A list of the rest of your specs would be useful.

But why does it really matter? The human eye isn't capable of seeing much above 30 FPS anyways. You will not notice a difference between 60 and 100 FPS.

I was never suggesting buying a new card :)
The card is mid range, but it's a low end DX10 card.
James

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
cool, well im not sure how to get my system specs. if you could tell me that might help us both out. the games im talking about requires little... umm it doesn't need a really REALLY good video card im talkin HL mods Counter-strike,Day of defeat, sven co-op, Natural selection, other games i play are guild wars - i just started playing Fear thats why i bought the video card.

are the specs in dxdiag? no clue.

also i think your right about my moniter its 60 hrz or w/e it is and it probly cant go passed 60 fps and as for that V-sync thing im not sure what that is.

Edited by Kaygen123, 22 October 2007 - 04:37 PM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
while your here, im trying to learn how to make recordings of any games (right now F.E.A.R.) im using this program someone recommended called HyperCam 2 its really cool BUT i cant seem to get the sound and video to stay at the same exact time as in the game ( it sounds off when i play the recording. say i were to shoot then 5 seconds later you would hear it) also it doesn't seem to work very well skipping and not keeping up with itself.. oh well i guess i'll just buy a professional game recorder.. but i really dont want to.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
==System==

Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP professional 5.1 build 2600
Processor: Intel® Pentium® D CPU 3.00GHz (2CPUs)
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Page File: 260MB Used 2102MB Available
DirectX Version: Directx 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

==Display==

Name: NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip Type: Geforce 8600 GT
Approx: 512.0mb

Main Driver: nv4_disp.dll
Version: 6.14.0011.6218

==Sound==

Name: Envy24 Family Audio (WDM) (PCI)

------------
i copied this from someone else's post and fillied in my info.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Everything is average there, so nothing is really bottlenecking the hardware. If you want high frame rates then you could lower settings, as long as your mins don't drop below 30 you shouldn't notice any shuttering.
James

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
cool, well about that 60 hrz thing is that how good my monitor is? if thats the case i'll get a better one. flat panel with better uhh... w/e it is thats better on the DVI / other new monitors.

thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
No, as far as I know 99% of LCD's have a refresh rate of 60Hertz, it doesn't make your monitor any better or worse.
As for V-sync
http://en.wikipedia....synchronization
It's nothing really to worry about. Just a suggestion that settybet brought forward as a possibility why your frames are caping (I think he thought they are caping, but they aren't, are they?).
James

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
if by caping you mean not going any higher than 60 fps on day of defeat then yes they're caping. nice wikipedia explination definition. so should i turn v-sync off or on and how would i do that.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Some games automatically cap, and this cannot be disabled. This is not the case for Day of Defeat.
V-sync will be available under your video options, you can disable it to remove the cap.
To be honest it won't affect your performance, highs have a possibility of getting higher thus artificially "raising" the average but the mins will still be the same.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 07:31 AM.

Kaygen123

Kaygen123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
thanks

James25

James25

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Some games automatically cap, and this cannot be disabled. This is not the case for Day of Defeat.
V-sync will be available under your video options, you can disable it to remove the cap.
To be honest it won't affect your performance, highs have a possibility of getting higher thus artificially "raising" the average but the mins will still be the same.
James

Does World of Warcraft automatically cap? and should a Radeon HD 4550 512mb DDR3 run wow on highest settings?

Genuine Intel® CPU 2140 @ 1.60GHz x 2
x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2
RAM size 2.00 GB
DirectX version 4.09.00.0904
HDD - Windows partition 155 GB
HDD - Largest disk 320 GB
Video RAM 512 MB
Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit(6.0.6001)

Model Aspire T690
Manufacturer Acer
No. of physical processors 1
System type X86-based PC
Total physical memory 2.00 GB

Desktop monitor
1. Name Acer X221W
Type LCD
Horizontal Frequency 31-81 kHz
Vertical Frequency 75-56 Hz
Maximum Resolution 1680 x 1050
Diagonal 22"

Video controller
1. Name ATI Radeon HD 4550
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB
Video processor ATI Radeon Graphics Processor (0x9540)

pekeno201

pekeno201

• Pip
  • 1 posts

i have the same problem its on a half life 2 mod so my fps should be higher then 60, and btw the human eye has nothing to do withfps, fps are how many images are transfered per seconds and the human eye dosent work like that lol xD, what you see is more of a constant light stream, the eye has no limits to how many fps you can actually see, i see a lot of people saying that in games and i have no idea why, its more of a urban legend