Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading graphics card.

• Please log in to reply

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, I'm planning on getting an 8600 GTS on the 2nd of November, and I just have a couple questions. First, would this be a noticable upgrade to me? I'm currently using the crappy 6150 SE that came with me PC. Will the 8600 even go in my motherboard? It says it has an available PCI express slot, thats all I need I think. And finally, I understand that I can share more memory to my 6150, if I do this, will this give me at least a bit of a boost until I can get my 8600?

Thanks.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Your decision might change, the 8800GT is coming out on the 29th. I'd wait till then to see what it has to offer.
ATI will have their own offering later on, were we stand to day, you get more bang for your buck buying a high end DX9 card rather then a low end DX10 card.
Yes it will be a rather large boost.
As for the RAM, it depends how much system memory you have.
What kind of PSU do you have?
James

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Your decision might change, the 8800GT is coming out on the 29th. I'd wait till then to see what it has to offer.
ATI will have their own offering later on, were we stand to day, you get more bang for your buck buying a high end DX9 card rather then a low end DX10 card.
Yes it will be a rather large boost.
As for the RAM, it depends how much system memory you have.
What kind of PSU do you have?
James

I don't have any PSU yet, I was going to get one with my graphics card. and I have 2GB of ram. As for getting an 8800 GT, I was sorta looking for a card in the 200-300 dollar range.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

I was sorta looking for a card in the 200-300 dollar range.

Where are you? If you are in USA, then you're going to be able to get a much better card than in, say, Australia (where I'm from).

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
The 8600s are a waste of money. If you are going to play DirectX 10 games then you need a better card if not then save your money and get a DirectX 9 card that out performs the 8600. Like a Radeon X1650 GT for under $100 or a Radeon X1950 PRO for around $120.

But what exactly are you doing with your rig?

Edited by jackflash1991, 22 October 2007 - 05:58 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Oh did not see your price range. If it is 200-300 then I would get the Radeon HD X2900 PRO for around $280. It is DirectX 10.

PS: If you plan to play Crysis then I might recommend something a little higher.

Edited by jackflash1991, 22 October 2007 - 06:02 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Oh did not see your price range. If it is 200-300 then I would get the Radeon HD X2900 PRO for around $280. It is DirectX 10.

PS: If you plan to play Crysis then I might recommend something a little higher.

Your not going to find the HD2900pro around right now, and you'll be lucky if you could even find one. It's best not to recommend them as ATI made limited quantities that seem to have all sold out.
The 8800GT might be in your price range, I'd wait and see.
Again, your probably going to have to invest into a PSU, unless you custom built the PSU, then there might be a chance the PSU will have enough juice.
Also your canadian, correct? I noticed you mentioned futureshop in one of your posts, thats how I know. :)
If this is the case, DO NOT buy your graphics card at futureshop, your looking at paying roughly 80-150 dollars more. To be honest I have seen prices 150$+ over what they should be there.
James

Edited by james_8970, 22 October 2007 - 06:12 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Yep

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Your not going to find the HD2900pro around right now, and you'll be lucky if you could even find one. It's best not to recommend them as ATI made limited quantities that seem to have all sold out.
The 8800GT might be in your price range, I'd wait and see.
Again, your probably going to have to invest into a PSU, unless you custom built the PSU, then there might be a chance the PSU will have enough juice.
Also your canadian, correct? I noticed you mentioned futureshop in one of your posts, thats how I know. :)
If this is the case, DO NOT buy your graphics card at futureshop, your looking at paying roughly 80-150 dollars more. To be honest I have seen prices 150$+ over what they should be there.
James

Yea Future Shop looked a little ridiculously expensive for the cards. I'm just not too sure where else to get them, I'm probably going to check a local PC store and see what they have. As for what games I play, right now I have WoW and AoEIII installed on my computer and they don't even run very well, im not looking to max out crysis and play that or anything.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Take a look at www.NCIX.com thats where I shop(I'm canadian as well). Every Wednesday night they have a new sale. Try to see if the local shops will even match NCIX's prices, to get an ever better deal. Also NCIX matches peoples prices as well. Another up is that you don't have to pay PST buying through NCIX, unless you live in BC.
James

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Take a look at www.NCIX.com thats where I shop(I'm canadian as well). Every Wednesday night they have a new sale. Try to see if the local shops will even match NCIX's prices, to get an ever better deal. Also NCIX matches peoples prices as well. Another up is that you don't have to pay PST buying through NCIX, unless you live in BC.
James

Lol, I do live in BC. But thats ok I guess. the cards are much cheaper than future shop`s prices.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Its a good site, you can trust them(I buy there all the time). If you have any questions just let me know.
James

Edited by james_8970, 23 October 2007 - 12:24 PM.

Silent Xenocide

Silent Xenocide

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Where would one put the power supply. They seem rather expensive....

thajoker

thajoker

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I live in Canada too and if they have it over there in B.C. (I live in Toronto so I wouldn't know), the prices at Canada Computers aren't too shabby. One things for sure, the prices are alot beter than futureshop which is basically just a rip-off store. Don't expect to get recommendations or advice from the employees there though. The service there is abysmal but I guess there's always a catch to stores with low prices isnt there. Theres nothing really really good thats going to come out anytime soon for a price range of $200-300 but your best bets the GeForce 8800 GTS but from what I know it only has 32 texture units which isnt bad but not neccessarily impressive. I don't know that's just my opinion though, many might disagree.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I live in Canada too and if they have it over there in B.C. (I live in Toronto so I wouldn't know), the prices at Canada Computers aren't too shabby. One things for sure, the prices are alot beter than futureshop which is basically just a rip-off store. Don't expect to get recommendations or advice from the employees there though. The service there is abysmal but I guess there's always a catch to stores with low prices isnt there. Theres nothing really really good thats going to come out anytime soon for a price range of $200-300 but your best bets the GeForce 8800 GTS but from what I know it only has 32 texture units which isnt bad but not neccessarily impressive. I don't know that's just my opinion though, many might disagree.

Something is supposed to come out on the 29th :) We'll see though, but things have been poping up on manufactures sites so I wouldn't be surpirsed if the rumoures hold true.
Future shop is evil when it comes to many computer components.
I have looked a canada computers, NCIX is better, or I find anyways.
Not exactly sure what your talking about Silent, could you be a little more specific?
If any upgrades can be held to mid november I strongly suggest doing so.
A PSU may seem expensive, but without a good PSU you could potentially fry some components.
James

Edited by james_8970, 24 October 2007 - 05:10 PM.