Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Re-Installing XP Professional Question

• Please log in to reply

Fortunas

Fortunas

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
My friend recently has been having problems with his computer (viruses, malware, etc) so I offered to take his harddrive back to my house and reinstall XP Professional on his system. I plugged his drive into an ESATA card I have on my motherboard and have backed up all his essential data. Now, I plan to boot to the drive and pop in my XP install disc and format the drive and re-install. But since I'm installing XP on MY hardware, will the installation not function properly when I plug it back into his computer?
If there is a way around this problem, any solutions would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Fort

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You can wipe the drive from your computer but you can only use Setup on the machine you install it to because of the differing hardware configurations.

Fortunas

Fortunas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
And theres is no way around this?
Backing up drivers?
Thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
That is the best and easiest way. Using your computer would load drivers for yours. You would have to then do a repair install and you are then asking for more trouble.

It would save a lot of hassles using his computer.