Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

wireless internet on laptop

• Please log in to reply

msdebi

msdebi

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i just got a laptop, it has a built in 802.11g. i want to have the internet service provider to be comcast. what will i need to get to have internet and for it to be wireless? i'm confused about the modem and router and what it does.

and for whatever is needed, what is the recommended products to get?

and about wifi, is it free? does it require a set up if i was to just go to barnes and nobles?

Advertisements

Master Green

Master Green

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,
I will pass on my experience and what knowledge I have, with hopes both will answer your questions.
The question I have is, do you already have a desktop computer or is the Laptop the only one because that will make a difference on how you will set up ???

Inorder for your Internet connection to be Comcast, you will need to call your local Comcast office and get set up with them. You can install Comcast yourself and they will provide a modem. I stand to be corrected if I am wrong on the following but a wireless router will not benefit you without a modem. I'm not sure if Comcast provides a wireless router in place of a modem because I have Verizon at home and a router provided by Verizon. You can inquire. If by chance you have to purchase your own, then the Comcast set up should be done first, then the router installed after.

I am not the best at explaing everything, but the modem is provided by Comcast for connection to the ISP and a router which also acts as a firewall, will also allow you to connect other computers including the Laptop. A wireless connection and set up is free with the exception of the cost for the router if you need to purchase your own. Before a wireless connection can be done to the best of my knowledge you will need a modem/router. Edited to remove suggestion for illegal service.

Please do not take exception to the following but if you are inexperienced with the above, then I'm not sure how smooth everything will go even though none of it's impossible. By your questions, it sounds like you have alot of rerservations and that's why I am mentioning it. In my earlier days of learning about computers, modems and routers it was alot to understand and learn. If it was not for my experience with troubleshooting computers I may never been fortunate to have a Laptop and Desktop set up wirelessly in my house...Hopefully I answered your questions and I'm sure you will have a few more so please don't hesitate to post them back here...

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
msdebi,

I would suggest contacting Comcast and seeing what they provide with the service. I don't use them, but with my ISP, which is Verizon, I was provided a router that has both wired and wireless capabilities. Since you have wifi capabilities, you can go into a place that has free wifi, such as a Barnes and Noble or a Starbucks, and use the wifi they provide. Once you've contacted Comcast and gotten the necessary information from them on what they provide and what assistance they provide in setting it up, you can come back here and get additional help and support as needed. If you're going to set up a wireless network, it's important that it is secured so other people outside of your house can't access it, which is essentially stealing service.