Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

Rupert

Rupert

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have 2 desk tops and a lap top networked thru a wireless router so that my cable internet works on each computer. Problem is that I can find the laptop and the main computer (the one connected to the router) when viewing the entire network but I cannot find the other desktop (connected wirelessly). I know that the wireless card is good because the internet works through the computer. I have ensured that the workgroup name is the same on all three computers but I still cannot get the thing to show up in the list. Any ideas?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
all three windows 98?

Does the missing laptop have File and Print Sharing installed and have you shared anything on it?

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The laptop is XP, the desktops are 98. The laptop and 1 of the desktops are sharing but the other computer does not show up when looking up entire network. Sharing is enabled on the laptop.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You cannot see the windows 98 desktop through either the other 98 or the xp laptop, correct?

If so

On the xp laptop,

start > run, type
ipconfig /all

report back the ipaddress and the gateway and the subnet

on the win98 desktop,
start > run
winipcfg
choose the network adapter,
report the same info

Also, on the win98 desktop that will not run, your log in says what

Network logon or windows logon?

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I tried to run the "ipconfig / all" on the XP machine. It brings up a DOS window that disappears instantly so I can't read it. The 98 machine comes up with a Windows loggin. If I try requiring a network loggin I don't know the Domain (nothing shows up in the drop down list) and so I don't know what to put there.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
rupert,

sorry, I left out a step.

Start > run
cmd
then type ipconfig all in the box.

As it is, I suspect the problem is the windows 98 machine that does not work is using windows fmaily logon

Right click network neighborhood choose properties, change the primary logon from windows family to client for ms networks

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK I checked that it is Client for MS Network and it is. It still doesn't work though. Here is what I get on each machine when I run the ipconfig /all on each:

Dhcp Enabled......................:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled....:Yes (Line does not exist on the 98 machines)
IP Address ends in 100 on the XP, 101 on the working 98 machine and 102 on the one that doesn't.

Subnet mask is the same on the working machines but the numbers are different on the one that does not (I don't know how to change it to match the others, could this be the problem?)

Default Gateway matches on all three machines.

DHCP Server matches on all three machines.

Two other questions:

1: If I get this to work how do I set up a network drive to map to in the computers (do I set one machine up as a drive or create a file or what?)

2: If someone were to, say, accidentally hit the full screen button on the DOS Prompt screen how would he get it back to small size again...?

Thanks for the input on this stuff.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what are the subnet masks...

the subnet mask determines if the machines are on the same network, so yes, pretty important.

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
How do I change it?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you go to networking in control panel, choose thet tcp/ip protocol and hit properties, then change it.

btw, I sense reluctance to share the infomation your seeing. The ip address and subnet mask you are looking at are private ip addresses for your internal network. They mean nothing to anyone and cannot be used to gain access to your system.

I say this not because you need to share them, but generally people spit them out like old chewing gum and you seem reluctant, so I wanted to allay any fears/concerns.

The IP address that you do not want to share is your external IP address, which is the address of your router. Your router is acting as a limited firewall, preventing people from seeing into your machines.

Advertisements

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Gotcha. OK Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens. I'll write back with the results.

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OK. I corrected the number and ended up running network setup wizard. Now I can see the computer in network places on the XP (Laptop) machine and in Network Neighborhood on the working 98 machine. However, I cannot open it. I get an error on the 98 machine that says it doesn't find the computer's name. I get an error on the XP machine that says I may not have permission. I open network neighborhood on the non-working machine and still cannot see the other computers. So I can see it on the others but cannot see the others on it.

I have ensured that file and print sharing is enabled on the "bad" machine but still cannot see it's files or use it to see the other computers' files.

What should I try next? I am making progress, it seems.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, I would wait a little while, it can take up to a half hour for the master browser to build the browser list and all the shared resources.

Second, are all machines always on, or sometimes? Is one always on? In a workgroup, one computer takesthe role of the master browser, and that computer acts as the monitor for the group. When a computer is turned on, all of the computers have to have an election to determine the master browser. Sometimes, this causes a delay, sometimes, it causes problems.

I have, on occasion, run into networks that just don't want to work because the master browser (a single computer) just cannot communicate correctly.

I have resolved this by disallowing all the computers except one from becoming a master browser.

You didn't mention are these static IPs or are they being set dynamically?

Rupert

Rupert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
The desktop computers are always on. The laptop is not always. I will try waiting awhile as you suggest and see if that makes a difference. How do I determine Master Browsing status? Perhaps I should set the XP as the master at all times (don't need the network access of the other computers unless the laptop is in use).

Don't know the difference between static and dynamic IP's. The setup wizard configured everything.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
On windows 98 machine that is causing a problem....where you put in the subnet mask....are the numbers inserted above the network mask or is it set up to obtain an IP ADDRESS automatically?

If it is the former, who set this up? And why that way? Your router should be able to act as a DHCP server....

what kind of router do you have?