Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Explorer/Run32 dll errors

• Please log in to reply

JP080654

JP080654

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I try to run anti-virus or spyware remover, I get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and must close" followed by a few seconds of just wallpaper and then a return to desktop will all programs closed. I cannot empty Prefetch except one item at a time.

The programs that won't run are:
Avast Anti-Virus
Ad-Aware 2007

The maintenance utilities I use are:

Zone Alarm, Avast Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy, Spyware Blaster, Ad-Aware 2007 ,

CCleaner, Xpepius, RegSeeker, HiJack This, Scrip Trap

I have run these programs together, on a daily basis, for several years with no conflicts. The whole system is slower to load, as are individual programs. I went to Trend Micro for a full scan about a week ago, but nothing major showed up. I cannot do an antivirus scan because I can't get Avast to run all the way through. I did do a boot scan before going to Trend Micro.

A scan with RegistryFix (free) showed problems with deskpan.dll in the AcvtiveX area. Is there anything I can do before I wipe the hard drive and start from scratch?

Jody

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you have your start menu at all from time to time?