Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get Flash videos to play

• Please log in to reply

bruceb3

bruceb3

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
When trying to play a Flash video on cnn.com, it said I had ver.6 and needed to install ver.8. I installed it and when trying to play the video I get a message saying " the video timed out attempting to play. Please ensure that you do not have any Flash blocking plug-ins installed." I haven't the slightest idea where this "plug-in" would be installed. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's not the flash plug-in you need to locate, it's whatever is blocking it you need to find. It will be something in your web-browser settings. By default, Internet Explorer should play flash videos just fine and as far as I know it doesn't have a built-in flash-blocker anyway. But there is a setting which would disable all third-party extensions including Flash. Check here:
1. Tools>Internet Options>Advanced tab.
2. Scroll down till you see "Enable Third-party extensions" - This should be ticked to enable them.
Restart Internet Explorer.

If you are using a different web-browser you need to check if it has a flash-blocker and turn it off. I can't give details as I don't use a different browser.

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Please read my post thoroughly. It's not a Flash plug-in I'm trying to locate, but a Flash blocking plug-in. Just on a hunch, instead of using Netscape like I always do, I opened Internet Explorer and went to www.cnn.com and lo and behold, the Flash videos play perfectly! Now that I think of it, it was soon after doing manual Microsoft updates that I was no longer able to play Flash videos in Netscape. Specifically on cnn.com. I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to slip something into one of their updates. Just call me paranoid... :-)

bruceb3

bruceb3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
By the way, pip 22, thanks for the reply...