Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB RECOGNITION ISSUE - CRITICAL

• Please log in to reply

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok. I was chosen as a Pirates of the Carribean beta tester and so I downloaded, installed and played the game for a brief period of time. I left the computer with the game running at one point and when I returnerd the monitor was black due to the screen saver kicking on. The normal key strike/mouse move didn't wake it up.

I shut the pc down and rebooted.. one of the first things I noticed was a message during bootup before the flash screen that read "keyboard malfunction or error or something to that effect.

When the pc finally reaches the desktop I immediatly get 2 USB devices not recognized errors in the system tray. No mouse. No keyboard.

I can't even get to F2, F8 or F12 before bootup starts to go into safe mode. Can anyone help?

It appears something changed in the registry startup or bootup sequence and has rendered my keyboard and mouse dead. All of the peripherals work on another computer so it is a USB error I am assuming.

Am I totally hosed? If I could get in to do a system restore to an earlier date would that make everyting happy again and if so HOW do I do that without being able to access my keyboard and mouse?

I have critical projects on this OC I needed to finish yesterday so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Kaos

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you try booting WITHOUT any usb devices installed (you'll get the keyboard error) then plug in the mouse (in a different USB port) then shutdown...plug in the keyboard and start back up?

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I will try that. I am not home so I am going to try all of these suggestions when I get home.

KEEP 'EM COMING!

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
FYI - I don't even have a PS slot to connect a different keyboard or mouse.

I could only WISH it were that easy...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well..there are USB to PS/2 converters available at most computer stores...you could get one of those on the way home?

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I don't have any PS slots in my PC setup... it is all USB.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...yeah that sucks

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I know.. i am trying to figure out why in the world I didn't think of that when I was shopping.

On a side note - PurpleMonkeyDishWasher is familair but I don't know why?

ALSO - Are you a pirate?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Purple Monkey Dishwasher

....depends on the deffinition of pirates

KaosNation

KaosNation

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The kind sthat sail the seven seas and put the word ARGH! into most everything they say.... SMILES

VERY PIRATEY PIRATITUDE --> From: kn-ARGH!-xville Tenn-ARGH!-see

If so you will definitely be interested in this : http://www.myspace.com/shipwreckedfest

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yargh! i do be piratey!