Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN MESSENGER HELP

• Please log in to reply

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
hey today i was talking to a friend of mine and suddenly he asked me to download something so i did--and then i clicked on it and it disappared! now when i try to use my msenger suddenly the chat screen will close and i can't chat with anyone else unless i sign out and sign in. So i cleaned with my antivirus, fully reinstalled MSN and cleaned registry and cleaned spyware and deletd cookies and temp files! i just want to check and see whether the virus is still there so i didn't know where to post this but can i get hijackthis help or whatever you call it! how can i do the hijack this process?

P.S my friend didn't actually ask me to download it the virus automatically came on the chat screen!

thanks please help!!!!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Hey, spoon007,

Please go to this topic. It provides instructions for much of what you've already done, but there are also instructions for downloading and running hijackthis. Once you've done that, please start a new topic here.

sari

spoon007

spoon007

I R N0tSmRt

• Topic Starter
  • Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
sari sari sari....i tried to download hijackthis from the g2g website but i downloaded it and it said the installation files are corrupted. so i went to merijin.org and downloaded ver 2.0 but when i posted the hijackthis log there it loaded a screen where the admin was saying outdated version of hijack this detected please download from *here* and *here* was the place where i got the corrupted installation file!

what to do?
thanx

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
spoon007,

I'm not sure why you're having that issue with the Geeks to Go link. It worked for me. Try this instead, but remember, don't post your log here, post it in the malware forums.

* Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
sari